Eno Lounger Chair...

1:02 a.m. on November 22, 2015 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
300 forum posts

Hey everyone...

I have never had trouble falling asleep in the recliner...  It got me to thinking and wondered if anyone has ever used one as a shelter.

So the Eno Lounger Chair weighs about 3.5 lbs, which is light.  Why couldn't you make a tarp to cover the chair and just use it as a rain proof shelter.  I am always trying to find the perfect place to pitch a tent and although there are tons of threads on hammocks, they are just not for me.  The Lounger Chair hangs from one branch, which makes for a very quick setup.  You can hang it over any terrain, and if you have some basic climbing gear you could attach it to a rock overhang.

Anyone ever do this?  As you sit in the lazyboy after devouring that turkey, give this some thought and share your opinion.

Snakey

7:27 a.m. on November 22, 2015 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

Looks like an interesting chair.

Eno-Lounger-Chair.jpg

2:45 p.m. on November 22, 2015 (EST)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
378 forum posts

"I have never had trouble falling asleep in the recliner."

Have you tried sleeping all night in that ?

The reason I say that is because, for example,  I can enjoy an afternoon nap in a hammock but cannot do so all night long, after an hour or so I feel uncomfortable in one. ( I often change position during the night)

5:40 p.m. on November 22, 2015 (EST)
2,780 reviewer rep
1,638 forum posts

I wouldnt call 3.5lbs light exactly...

7:40 p.m. on November 22, 2015 (EST)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
378 forum posts

I sort of built a mental picture of a shelter to go around that , but yes starting at 3.5 lbs you still need to add at least 2 pounds for a tarp, guylines and stakes to take that shape and you still don't have a bug proof environment.

So it  could work for the ones that don't mind a 5 to 7 pound shelter but not exactly a light solution.

10:59 a.m. on November 23, 2015 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
300 forum posts

Yeah...maybe I would better off to make one. It would be fun to try, especially if you could make the fly integral to the design.

3:44 p.m. on November 23, 2015 (EST)
1,096 reviewer rep
150 forum posts

My daughter has one, it's pretty nice, not sleeping material IMO.

If you want to go hang yourself in a radical way, check out the Tree Fool, I think he get's about as creative as anyone when it comes to hanging.

http://treefool.com/

10:59 a.m. on November 24, 2015 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
300 forum posts

dirtwheels said:

My daughter has one, it's pretty nice, not sleeping material IMO.

If you want to go hang yourself in a radical way, check out the Tree Fool, I think he get's about as creative as anyone when it comes to hanging.

http://treefool.com/

Thanks...great link.

I have checked out the portaledges ...but damn those things are expensive and heavy too.  

2:16 p.m. on November 24, 2015 (EST)
1,096 reviewer rep
150 forum posts

TF has some interesting DIY projects, I think he makes most of his primary gear. His bikepacking trip setting up during the night so he can see the treeline for the 1st time the next morning is a different approach.

March 28, 2020
Quick Reply