Your minimal fishing kit....

1:43 p.m. on December 12, 2015 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
300 forum posts

Ok...I posted a thread on Tenkara fishing but decided that it would not be for me, so I just made a purchase of a new light spinning rig.  It can be used in any environment, lakes, rivers (slow and fast) and almost any conditions.  My choice is to get food...period, not sport fishing, so any good eating fish is on the list. 

It has now got me to thinking about what to take with in the form of tackle.  I feel that a water bobber is a necessity as you can throw flies out with that.  Then I asked myself, which flies would be best. ( I don't fly fish)  I want to limit it to a select few, so what are your go-to flies...the absolute favorites. (pictures would be great too, if you have some)

The when rigging live bait, what is your favorite way of rigging them for the lake river ect., and what is your favorite bait?  I know that depends on what is available, but if you have a lot of available live bait, what do you get the best results with.  

Also, I don't plan on doing much casting, but...if I was to carry a few lures...what are your favorites there?  Spinners, plugs...ect.  

I know I can search the web, but wanted your ideas.

Thanks

Snakey

5:54 p.m. on December 12, 2015 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
9,709 reviewer rep
1,577 forum posts

IMG_5521a.jpg

Two Rooster Tails tucked into a Rapala box. This has been my entire backpacking tackle box for years. No weights, no swivels, no bobbers. 15 grams including the box, not including the quarter.

Minimal :)

10:12 p.m. on December 12, 2015 (EST)
173 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

go for a Emmrod and with all the new lines you can use strong lines and be able to put more line on your reel. I use ultra lite lures it allows  me to get a bite even when the fishing is slow. But definitely look at Emmrod! 

2:16 a.m. on December 13, 2015 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
300 forum posts

LoneStranger said:

IMG_5521a.jpg

Two Rooster Tails tucked into a Rapala box. This has been my entire backpacking tackle box for years. No weights, no swivels, no bobbers. 15 grams including the box, not including the quarter.

Minimal :)

Wow...that is minimal.

Thanks for the pic...

7:15 a.m. on December 13, 2015 (EST)
2,780 reviewer rep
1,638 forum posts

When i take my Emmrod packer, i bring a hard cigarette case filled with lures based on where i am going.

This is what i usually take:

1 rooster tail

1 trout spinner(forget what they are called) aimilar to a rooster tail

2 rapala minnows, usually 1 floating top water one, and one 5-7ft

sonetimes i bring a frog.

and lastly I always have a few hooks and a small bobber For live bait. I have yet to find anywhere where i cant dig up a few worms within a min or so

10:51 a.m. on December 13, 2015 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
4,075 forum posts

A hand line using a leader spool, with small bait hooks, a couple of flies, split shot and a few lures.

11:52 a.m. on December 13, 2015 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
4,113 reviewer rep
1,555 forum posts

I recently carried something similar to ppine's kit, which I reduced over time from a segmented spinning rod and reel with a couple of lures (I am with you Lonestranger on the rooster tails as the all around versatile lure) to a fly rod with a couple of flies to just line. I looked at the Tenkara thread and was thinking of it myself but decided against it. My minimalist fishing kit has shrunk again in the last 5 years to its inevitable conclusion for me of carrying nothing. I still fish a lot, but just not on backpacking trips any more. I guess I still would for trips focused around good fishing spots. Don't seem to make time for it while walking so it made sense to me to drop it from the equipment list.

April 8, 2020
Quick Reply