Online store recommendation

10:26 p.m. on February 5, 2016 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,310 reviewer rep
410 forum posts

Moderators, if this isn't the right forum for this, please feel free to move it.

Recently I was looking for a new pair of snowshoes and settled on the Louis Garneau Blizzard II. These use a single "Boa" binding (they have a traditional heel strap), and I wanted to try the system. I ordered them from campsaver.com on Jan 29, retail price was $200 but thanks to their price match guarantee I got them for $171. 

Yesterday I got a sale flyer email from Campsaver, in which the same snowshoes were listed at $130. This morning I emailed them requesting a refund of the price difference, and my PayPal account was credited $41 tonight. Campsaver is now going to be the first place I look for anything I don't need to try on before buying.

10:23 a.m. on February 6, 2016 (EST)
202 reviewer rep
96 forum posts

Cool experience Phil. Now with so many buying options available on the web, good customer service is king. So Campsaver didn't make a huge profit when you purchased your snowshoes, but, they know you'll be back again......and will spread the good word about them.

5:08 p.m. on February 8, 2016 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
7,015 reviewer rep
2,282 forum posts

i think it builds great brand loyalty for retailers and manufacturers to stand behind their products and shoot straight on a pricing issue like this.

as long as the customers don't take unfair advantage.  i was in a home depot this weekend, and some guy tried to return a shovel he bought for the big snowstorm here.  it wasn't broken, he just thought it was too heavy.  of course, the scrapes along the bottom showed he had used that 'too-heavy' shovel quite a bit.  some people have no shame.    

i had to hunt for a spare hip belt cushion, one side only, for a gregory pack a few years ago.  left a clif bar in one of those handy hip belt pockets, and a rodent ate a chunk of the energy bar....along with a healthy portion of the nylon mesh pocket.  when the gregory phone support guy stopped chuckling, he sent me a replacement for free.  

6:39 p.m. on February 8, 2016 (EST)
447 reviewer rep
321 forum posts

Phil, I look forward to your review of your new shoes.

8:09 p.m. on February 8, 2016 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,310 reviewer rep
410 forum posts

leadbelly2550 said:

i think it builds great brand loyalty for retailers and manufacturers to stand behind their products and shoot straight on a pricing issue like this.

as long as the customers don't take unfair advantage.  i was in a home depot this weekend, and some guy tried to return a shovel he bought for the big snowstorm here.  it wasn't broken, he just thought it was too heavy.  of course, the scrapes along the bottom showed he had used that 'too-heavy' shovel quite a bit.  some people have no shame.  

I agree, nobody likes to spend more than they have to, but I'm not going to search the web to find a lower price on a $25 gadget just so I can get it for a buck less. Big ticket items, like boots, tents, sleeping bags, and snowshoes, sure, because someone's always having a 20% or greater off sale and that can be real money. 

I can remember how stores all said there'd be no returns on generators around the time of Y2K if nothing happened. And a lot of stores won't take big-screen TVs back if they were bought within a certain time before the Super Bowl. Some people truly do have no shame. A friend once tried returning a broken tool at an auto parts store, it was a brand they didn't even carry but he insisted he bought it there. It was very embarrassing, and I wished I'd busted him out to the manager afterward.

8:10 p.m. on February 8, 2016 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,310 reviewer rep
410 forum posts

Old Guide said:

Phil, I look forward to your review of your new shoes.

It's posted now, I'm sure I'll be editing it as I put more miles on them but I've done enough to get my initial impressions. 

2:22 p.m. on February 9, 2016 (EST)
447 reviewer rep
321 forum posts

Thanks Phil, I'll check it out.

6:26 a.m. on February 10, 2016 (EST)
RETAILER REVIEW CORPS
4,241 reviewer rep
603 forum posts

I've had nothing but great experiences with Campsaver, as well. They have sales often and sometimes include a non-expiriring 20% off coupon with little restrictions in your package. 

They are always one of the first online retailers I check when trying to make a purchase. 

8:25 a.m. on February 13, 2016 (EST)
173 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

I've used Extreme Outfitters for years now and they have some great deals on their site.Always check out the sales and close out section sometimes it seems like their almost giving stuff away. Sierra Trading post is another one I use too. 

8:23 p.m. on February 13, 2016 (EST)
173 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

oh! ladies exteame outfitters has plenty of gear for you.

6:54 p.m. on February 14, 2016 (EST)
173 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

sportsmans guide is another good site too.

3:48 p.m. on February 15, 2016 (EST)
447 reviewer rep
321 forum posts

tracker clayton 2 said:

sportsmans guide is another good site too.

Definitely and they along with LL Bean have excellent return policies and customer Service.

Two examples-I had bought a pair of boots from SMG and then broke my back-I didn't use the boots for over a year [hadn't used them at all] and then asked them if they could be returned...no problem, just send them back was what I was told.

LL Bean's policy is even better. I had a 16inch pair of the rubber/leather moc boot for many years.  They have a policy of when the rubber wears out for a charge they'll replace it. I took my boots into an LL Bean store and they noticed a tiny hole in the leather tongue. They replaced the boots free of charge and because they base the return on the present price of said product and the tax rate in my state was different then in Maine where LL is based, I got a 41 cent gift card plus a twenty dollar gift card for shopping there!!!!!!!!! So basically I got paid to wear they're boots for many years and then they replaced them for doing so.

And SMG often offers free shipping, while LL always does.

And if you haven't been in a store in awhile, end of winter sales are hot and highly discounted right now in most places for most items.

6:46 p.m. on February 15, 2016 (EST)
173 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

next weekend if they still have them I'll be getting a beautiful brown bet that's been tooled and got great reviews for $20 and carrhartt jeans for 27.99 at sportsmans guide. didn't have a brown belt to go with my Ariat ramblers and brown ariat shirt that took me forever to track down. I just have a crappy black belt and as we all know black and brown make me frown.....lol...oh and can't wear white after labor day...ha! So again sportsmans guide saves me some cash.

December 14, 2019
Quick Reply