Boot/shoe question

9:08 p.m. on February 15, 2016 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,151 reviewer rep
365 forum posts

if a pair of boots or shoes fits properly, any other model from the same manufacturer that's built on the same last should also fit properly, right?

12:29 a.m. on February 16, 2016 (EST)
158 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

I'm not sure I follow you but , I've had 2 pairs of Garmont boots both fit and I ordered a pair of shoes from them same fit. Now if a company machine acts up or they use different stitching or say the soles keep having issues ect they may change the manufacturering process which may make a shoe or boot tighter or looser. One thing I learned about boots, shoes,and pants is if you see that extra thread that some of us take a lighter too STOP! is so the shoe or pant can stretch over time and not put strain on the stitch. I think your good to go and I don't see it making a difference if there was I'd guess the company would say something or a review would say something. Is it different in anyway like insulation or anything?

5:40 a.m. on February 16, 2016 (EST)
260 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

Yes, it should IF it's built on the same last.  That may be difficult to determine.  The retail salesman, even if he says they are from the same last, likely doesn't truly know.

6:52 a.m. on February 16, 2016 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,151 reviewer rep
365 forum posts

I've noticed that some mfr websites give the last in the specs for each model. Last night the light bulb came on and I thought "hey, maybe any other Asolo boot built on the same last as my comfortable Fugitives will fit!" 

7:07 a.m. on February 16, 2016 (EST)
158 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

I did notice on my belville mini mils the tan ones were more confortable than the od green ones i had. Turns out it was the dye they use. they broke in fine but for out of the box confort my next pair will be the tan ones. So I guess alot can affect a boot or shoe.

8:54 p.m. on February 16, 2016 (EST)
1,967 reviewer rep
350 forum posts

The last provides the shape, but comfort will be based on both the shape and the materials used, so it isn't a given that any shoe/boot built on the same last will be equally comfortable. Besides that, I have noticed slight variations in how each shoe/boot is actually made that can affect fit -- I've definitely bought footwear where I tried on a pair and then asked the salesperson to bring out another pair of the exact same shoe in the exact same size, and I've found the left or the right from one pair fit slightly better than the one from the other pair. Even ended up buying a pair where the left and the right didn't start out in the same box.

So "fit properly" if built on the same last? Probably so. But fit exactly the same and be equally comfortable, not necessarily.

10:05 a.m. on February 17, 2016 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,151 reviewer rep
365 forum posts

Thanks, JR, I guess it does make sense that a boot built on the same last but with a lower-profile toebox, for example, won't fit the same way. 

3:01 p.m. on February 17, 2016 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,210 forum posts

No!

Even different pairs of the same model of boot of a given marked size can be different.  The discrepancy between same models is almost always minor, but it becomes apparent between different models by the same manufactuer, and of course, will vary between brands.

A few years back I bought a pair of Asolo hiking boots.  I just requested my size, the same as several prior purchases of various Asolo boot models.  Well this time it didn't fit.  After trying several different pairs of said boots I ended up needing a full size longer and wider to fit this specific model.

Ed

3:11 p.m. on February 17, 2016 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,525 reviewer rep
2,150 forum posts

in my experience, different styles of boot built on the same last are more likely to fit, if the last works for your feet.  However, they won't fit exactly the same.

it happens that i have two pair of Limmer hiking boots - one pair of standards, one pair of lightweights.  8 and 7 years old now, approximately.  when i was looking for the second pair, as an alternative to the standards (which are a lot of boot - heavy and stiff, overkill for most day hiking), they steered me toward the lightweights because their mid-weight boot is made on a different last.  and, because the tracing and measurements i provided seemed to work better with the last they use for the standard and the lightweight.  However, the lightweights fit a bit differently - slightly more narrow, and a slightly less roomy toe box.  (goes without saying the the lighter-weight leather they use with the lightweights formed to my feet more quickly and is generally a little more forgiving).   these aren't custom boots; they are made for limmer by Meindl in Germany.  

February 16, 2019
Quick Reply