Just wondering...what timepiece, if any, do you use? I am looking for a new one, but have pretty specific criteria:
- Don't want to wear something on the wrist or pack, to avoid the habit of checking it too often. Prefer to eat when hungry, sleep when tired, etc rather than checking what time it is.
- I have a phone for the time if needed, I guess, but like to keep that completely buried in the emergency kit in my pack and not turn it on for the entire trip unless I really have to get in contact.
- No need for extra gadgets for me - I prefer to get away from the electronics and read a map and figure out my elevation rather than have it told to me. Part of the fun and challenge. Seems like a lot of the durable watches have extra features like altimeters.
- Primary use is to time my simmering, home dehydrated meals and ensure I am at a trailhead the last day at the right time for a pickup.
- Since I don't need a lot of gadgetry, the prices for watches at the outdoor retailers seem pretty steep.
- Nice and light...
I was going to grab another cheap watch at the local grocery/pharmacy and cut off the straps again, but thought I would ping you all and see if there are any ideas I haven't thought of....thanks.