sleeping bag

4:41 p.m. on July 11, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

30 years ago , last month, I purchased a WE down bag before going to Isle Royale NP to backpack after running Grandma's marathon. My regular tent was wet and I used a double open end tarp. I thought I was going to freeze, but once I got in the bag, it was like toast. It is, I think, somewhere near the 20 degree rating and blue colored. Is this bag still good after all these years? it has lost a little down and has a few sewing patches. 

5:16 p.m. on July 11, 2016 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,525 reviewer rep
2,150 forum posts

i have used 30 year old down bags before.  if they are properly stored, they don't lose much if any insulating value.  if the bag spent years stored in a stuff sack, i might wonder if the loft could be compromised.  losing a few feathers here and there generally doesn't compromise their insulating value.  

10:22 p.m. on July 12, 2016 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,747 reviewer rep
741 forum posts

Its all about the loft...well actually it is a little more complicated than that...but the construction of the bag shouldn't have changed in storage. Off the top of my head I would say a bag with 2.25-2.5 inch loft would achieve a 20 degree rating.

10:55 p.m. on July 12, 2016 (EDT)
1,967 reviewer rep
350 forum posts

You say it kept you toasty then ask if the bag is still good? I think you answered your own question.

9:53 a.m. on July 19, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,630 forum posts

Storage and keeping them clean makes all the difference. I have two bags from 1970 that I still use for loaners.

5:01 a.m. on August 16, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

That Right I'm still using a bags that my dad gave me it been 20 years old now, just maintaining it is the secret!

February 16, 2019
Quick Reply