Reflective Mylar

11:45 p.m. on November 30, 2016 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
300 forum posts

So I am sure that this must have been talked about, however I can't find a posting.  

I have been giving some thought about the possibility of making a tarp out of reflective Mylar. I have seen Mylar of course, but not enough to know if this would be possible.  I like the idea of reflecting heat on hot days.  Now if there was a lightweight fabric that was covered with reflective (mirror) Mylar, that of course would be the way to go.  Is there such a fabric?  

Then I wondered about laminating a tarp with the reflective Mylar.  Again...this is all conjecture, being just a rough idea.  Laminating it would be tough, and I don't know how well the Mylar would hold up.  They do have the Mylar with an adhesive backing, but I doubt that would be good enough.

The other use would be stealth.  The reflective Mylar would reflect the background foliage, which would match any background, whether it was brown, green or otherwise.  Much like the Ghost Blinds hunting blinds.

ghostblind_setup_10.jpg
So does anyone want to weigh in on this.  I would like your thoughts.

Snakey

3:39 a.m. on December 1, 2016 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,212 forum posts

I think a tarp will not blend nearly as well as the wrinkles produce flashy, bright spots that bounce light at the viewer.  

I have owned ground cloths with one reflective side.  And there are space blankets.  There is also the fabric used to make photography light reflecting screens.  Or for that mater the silver lacquer that is used to make the reflective surface.  Sounds like a fun internet research project. 

Ed

5:12 a.m. on December 1, 2016 (EST)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
369 forum posts

Previous tries have ended up with the material delaminating after some uses.

as for stealth, all I see is the reflection of the material itself , a bit like a mirror or a polished pot.

emergency%20shelter_zpsiops2uwz.jpg

8:57 a.m. on December 1, 2016 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
300 forum posts

whomeworry said:

I think a tarp will not blend nearly as well as the wrinkles produce flashy, bright spots that bounce light at the viewer.  

I have owned ground cloths with one reflective side.  And there are space blankets.  There is also the fabric used to make photography light reflecting screens.  Or for that mater the silver lacquer that is used to make the reflective surface.  Sounds like a fun internet research project. 

Ed

Yep...fun project is right.  I think maybe that just using the space blanket would work for a reflective screen, but then the wrinkles do mess it up.  

8:59 a.m. on December 1, 2016 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
300 forum posts

Franco said:

Previous tries have ended up with the material delaminating after some uses.

as for stealth, all I see is the reflection of the material itself , a bit like a mirror or a polished pot.

emergency%20shelter_zpsiops2uwz.jpg

Yeah...that is not doing anything as far as stealth is concerned.  I may just go with the camo tarp instead.  

10:48 a.m. on December 1, 2016 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,336 forum posts

I have in the past recycled the inside of emptied Dorito's bags, the shiny Mylar like looking, to reflect heat or cold by wrapping it around my water bottles either when backpacking or bicycle touring. It works great to me, so if you can get Mylar in large sheets it may work!?

IMG_20161201_083917.jpg
A Doritos bag turned inside out

IMG_20161201_084105.jpg
The inner bag, inside out.

10:48 p.m. on December 1, 2016 (EST)
107 reviewer rep
486 forum posts

Snakey I don't have an opinion one way or the other, but rather a question for curiosity sake.lets say it would work just like you said. an I would definitely like it to be cooler in summer especially here in the south. So your idea is understandable. The ? Is this how much of a difference do you think it would make? I have a UST hex tarp that is Mylar on one side and yellow the other and I just don't think it would make much if any difference since both ends are open and you can elevate it so as to catch a breeze on the sides also.

just curious 

10:59 p.m. on December 1, 2016 (EST)
107 reviewer rep
486 forum posts

Gary your dorritos bag idea is something I'm gonna try. I like to freeze a 2 liter Diet Coke to take with me on trips and I usually wrap it in 3 plastic grocery backs because it sweats so bad plus it helps it stay cold longer but your idea looks like it will work better and help me with my caffeine fix since I don't like hot drinks at all even in winter.

10:07 a.m. on December 2, 2016 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
300 forum posts

Mylar sheets are cheap so I may buy some and give it a try.

1:19 a.m. on December 3, 2016 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,636 forum posts

Space blanket type material works well for many applications. I use it on the fabric ends of a hybrid trailer.  The foil reflects sunlight during the day making it cooler. The insulation makes it much warmer at night.

12:10 p.m. on December 3, 2016 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
300 forum posts

John Starnes said:

Snakey I don't have an opinion one way or the other, but rather a question for curiosity sake.lets say it would work just like you said. an I would definitely like it to be cooler in summer especially here in the south. So your idea is understandable. The ? Is this how much of a difference do you think it would make? I have a UST hex tarp that is Mylar on one side and yellow the other and I just don't think it would make much if any difference since both ends are open and you can elevate it so as to catch a breeze on the sides also.

just curious 

Have you ever used your tarp in the sun to check it out?  My thoughts are that it will.  I did a cross-country bicycle ride a few years back and on the really hot days I relished in the shade of trees when possible.  It made a big difference.  I cannot imagine that it won't.  I live in Arizona and when it is really hot, just walking under an awning drops the temps a lot.  My idea has changed though, and I think having a Mylar over your tent as a fly would be better.  That would give you the air space between the Mylar and your tent.  the underside of any fabric will be much hotter with the sun hitting it than it would be without the airspace. 

1:33 p.m. on December 3, 2016 (EST)
271 reviewer rep
1,912 forum posts

Snakey you use an Umbrella when you hike in Arizona?

11:04 a.m. on December 4, 2016 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
300 forum posts

denis daly said:

Snakey you use an Umbrella when you hike in Arizona?

No...I just moved back here and have yet to go out.  I doubt I would use an umbrella though, as I always walk with a walking stick.  Summer was brutal when I moved back and so I have been waiting for cooler weather.  It was 118 when I moved back here.  I lived here years ago and did a lot of hiking then, in and around Tucson.  Nowadays I cannot walk very far so now I bike, and I will bike camp out to the desert when it is cooler and then do shorter walking hikes.

I have always wondered about the umbrella...it should help a lot.

3:22 p.m. on December 4, 2016 (EST)
1,967 reviewer rep
351 forum posts

I doubt I would use an umbrella though, as I always walk with a walking stick.

You can attach the umbrella to your shoulder strap for hands-free, like this:

P1000278---Copy.jpg

10:25 p.m. on December 4, 2016 (EST)
271 reviewer rep
1,912 forum posts

JRinGeorgia said:

I doubt I would use an umbrella though, as I always walk with a walking stick.

You can attach the umbrella to your shoulder strap for hands-free, like this:

P1000278---Copy.jpg

Jr this your setup? Hold well with those small clips?

11:39 p.m. on December 4, 2016 (EST)
1,967 reviewer rep
351 forum posts

Yes, that's me/my setup. It may be hard to see, but I simply attached two pieces of cord to the daisy chain on the shoulder strap with a larkshead and then put a mini cord lock on. Holds really well.

You can see in the pic that because the umbrella is higher up on my shoulder strap that it's angled back, so I've added a piece of a foam pool noodle at the top cord to hold the umbrella shaft more vertical. I did find that with a relatively short handled umbrella that you have to attach it pretty high up on the shoulder strap or the umbrella will be low over your head and can block your view a bit.

2:47 p.m. on December 5, 2016 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,212 forum posts

Sun parasols are cool - literally!

An alternative to Denis's umbrella mount is passing the umbrella shaft into the top opening of internal frame packs, inside of which the butt of the shaft is nested into a "pocket" one fabricates for this purpose.  The pocket can be sewn onto the pack or attached with Velcro.  This placement will facilitate a more erect position of the umbrella, which in turn provides better shade cover when the sun is in front of you.  Notice Denis's set up uses guy lines extending from the left and right shoulder straps; these cords serve to keep the umbrella from canting to your left or right; they can also be adjusted to purposely cant the umbrella to give shade from the sun when it is off to one side or the other.  This system is easy to use.

Setting up an external frame pack is even easier.  I just shove the umbrella shaft down between the pack sack and the frame.  The umbrella is canted left and right simply by repositioning the shaft, no need for the guy line attachment to the shoulder pads,  as the pinch force of the pack frame and sack is sufficient to secure the umbrella in place.  DSCN0861.jpg

While the umbrella is a totally optional piece of equipment. It is one of my most appreciated pieces of gear, used more than any other equipment, except, perhaps, my boots!  In the heat it allows me to remove my hat, and in the rain, it facilitates a drier entry into my tent.

An umbrella on a pack looks real nerdy, but JMT and GC hikers comment with envy as they cook in the mid day sun.

Ed

9:27 p.m. on December 5, 2016 (EST)
107 reviewer rep
486 forum posts

Snakes not sure I'm following you. I understand shade difference. ? I was asking is with it being a tarp or rainfly for that matter do u think it would make a very significant temp difference with the reflective part turned out I think not so much on a tarp setup but probably significantly more so on a tent set up. 

You peaked my curiosity enough that I'm gonna probably try it with mine 

jr and Ed - Jeff and I just came off a trail here in Arkansas that we would have paid good money for those umbrellas set up we we soaked to the bone for 2 solid days 

10:05 a.m. on December 6, 2016 (EST)
271 reviewer rep
1,912 forum posts

JR and Ed what umbrella's are you using? 

10:58 p.m. on December 6, 2016 (EST)
1,967 reviewer rep
351 forum posts

Mine is the Swing Trek Liteflex with the reflective silver coating, which is the same thing as the old GoLite Chrome Dome and the same as what is being sold now by Gossamer Gear, Six Moon Designs and Zpacks. 7.9 oz. Ed's looks to be the same but let's hear directly from him to verify.

8:57 a.m. on December 7, 2016 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
300 forum posts

So has anyone used mylar as a fly for a tent?

February 19, 2019
Quick Reply