Clothing/gear for the taller hiker

5:20 p.m. on January 16, 2017 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,674 reviewer rep
93 forum posts

Hi everyone,

I was talking with a friend of mine today who is over the 6 foot mark (by a few inches) and he was saying he is having a hard time finding outdoor clothing and gear that fits tall people well. Since I am in the 5'10" range I have never had this experience and didn't have much to offer him in terms of places to look.

I'm turning to the taller folks on trailspace to help me out. Can you send me any recommendations I can pass along?

-Jim 

10:14 a.m. on January 17, 2017 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,660 forum posts

Only buy tall shirts. Some manufacturers are generous with their sleeve length like Filson.

2:26 p.m. on January 17, 2017 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
2,750 reviewer rep
1,638 forum posts

I don't have that issue personally, some of the main providers do make tall sizes but you would have to order online/special order. Otherwise , some of the more mainstream outdoor retailers do usually have a decent selection of tall items. Cabelas(their house stuff has a lot of tall sizes), Carhartt(has perhaps the best tall options but is not traditional outdoor clothing per say and is typically heavier workwear type stuff), Basspro(their house stuff has a lot of tall sizes), llbean(their house stuff has a lot of tall sizes), kohls(carry a lot of Columbia tall sizes)

9:28 p.m. on January 17, 2017 (EST)
364 reviewer rep
206 forum posts

Woolrich has a heavy wool Alaskan shirt that will fit a tall/long person

9:56 a.m. on January 18, 2017 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
4,606 reviewer rep
1,024 forum posts

First ascent (Eddie Bauer) also makes clothing available in tall/long sizes. 

I'm six foot even and have never had trouble finding stuff that fits. Is there that much of a difference in a couple inches? I don't know. I find that most outdoor clothing is pretty well fit for the taller/slimmer crowd. 

Maybe someone like BigRed or Gary will chime in, both are quite tall (I believe). 

11:00 a.m. on January 18, 2017 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,595 reviewer rep
1,050 forum posts

I'm tall and skinny (6'4", 175lbs, 31 inch waist, 34 inch inseam) and this is a perennial problem. I hate paying top dollar for something that only comes in SMLXL and doesn't fit well. For a shell jacket I can take an off the shelf XL but I have a hell of a time finding base layers that fit well and anything to fit my lower half. I have a pair of REI shell pants and their Sahara convertible hiking trou that came in different inseam lengths and so fit OK, but I fall right in between the usual S and M waist sizes and so end up with an M which is a little looser than I would like in the waist. In base layer shirts I often end up with a L, a little loose on the body and still a little too short in the sleeves. LL Bean sometimes has shirts in M-tall which fit better. And somewhere I picked up a pair of Arcteryx hiking pants that fit really well. So -- try REI and LL Bean, and stay on the lookout for items that come in different inseam lengths and shirts that come in long lengths.

9:49 p.m. on January 18, 2017 (EST)
11,702 reviewer rep
1,399 forum posts

I'm 6'2" with extra long "monkey arms." But I don't find a need for extra tall outdoor clothing. Everyday clothing...yes, the sleeves are always too short. So I roll them up (and because I wear a medium, no one makes a Medium Tall).

But outdoor gear is usually pretty generous in the sleeve length. So I just buy off the rack. Base layers I buy in mediums. Outer layers I buy in large so I can layer easier. 

3:04 p.m. on January 19, 2017 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,674 reviewer rep
93 forum posts

Thanks everyone, this is helpful and I'll pass it along. 

3:44 p.m. on January 21, 2017 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
44 forum posts

So many of the companies have pants in lengths, TNF, Columbia, Mtn Hardware and Kuhl being a few. You have to find a store carrying those and try them on as each have a different cut for their brand. They'll have a waist size and either short medium or tall on the tag, Sports Authority or box stores are less likely to have these available so going to an outlet or factory direct is your best bet. This applies to all TNF,  Columbia, and Mtn Hardware in their everyday and winter apparel. LL Bean, EMS, and REI might have similar practices in their generic lines. Kuhl sizes their stuff like a normal pant, so jean sizing is normally a safe bet, but winter gear is not one of their strong points. Contacting the customer service of each manufacturer will give you a complete rundowns of B/T stuff they have available, know that colors are normally limited and some items are not available in the larger sizes.

6:51 p.m. on January 21, 2017 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
2,695 reviewer rep
1,424 forum posts

Pendleton wool shirts can be ordered in tall. I have a couple, and at 6'2", they cover my long arms well. 

9:10 a.m. on January 22, 2017 (EST)
364 reviewer rep
206 forum posts

I noticed that Sportsman's Guide also has many big and tall items

March 24, 2019
Quick Reply