Simms Downstream down sweater/jacket

5:40 p.m. on January 19, 2017 (EST)
2,780 reviewer rep
1,638 forum posts

I came into a rather large quantity of cabelas gift cards and am also in the market for a new down sweater or jacket. Considering several options sold by Cabelas, two of which are the Simms Downstream sweater, and the jacket.

Curious to know if anyone has any experience with these. I can't find a single review thus far in my quick google fu searches.

11:29 p.m. on January 19, 2017 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
2,710 reviewer rep
1,515 forum posts

I haven't heard anything anecdotal about the Simms stuff, though I seem to remember generally positive things about the Cabelas-branded down stuff...something is stuck in my head about them sourcing such garments from the same manufacturer LL Bean uses for their down garments.

6:03 a.m. on January 20, 2017 (EST)
940 reviewer rep
783 forum posts

I was able to find this:

4:19 p.m. on January 20, 2017 (EST)
2,780 reviewer rep
1,638 forum posts

All i have found is those few videos on you tube that dont go into much any detail at all. The best one of which was the simms 2016 fall lineup video.

it would be replacing my waxed cotton down jacket. Saving me about a pound. But i may opt for a more traditional down jacket and just use a shell over it, saving probably almost 2 pounds.I am not a fan of the "flimsy" material on most down jacket/sweater style items on the market today. I don  abuse my gear per say, but my nano puff definitely looks like it went through ww3.

11:25 p.m. on January 25, 2017 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,140 reviewer rep
654 forum posts

A few fly-fishing guide friends of mine wear nothing but Simms (jackets, hip-waders, hats, etc.). I think the insulated jackets they commonly wear are the "Fall Run" series, which are much lighter than the "Downstream" series. They have nothing but praise for the jackets and other Simms stuff. No personal experience myself though. 

6:29 a.m. on January 26, 2017 (EST)
2,780 reviewer rep
1,638 forum posts

I bit the bullet and ordered some new gear. A simms downstream jacket and a msr guardian. Figure i can return the jacket and go with something else if i dont like it for some reason. Still waiting for the jacket, but will post a review after the winter probably.

The msr guardian i picked up locally, and so far its awesome, review to follow for that as well.

7:22 p.m. on February 2, 2017 (EST)
2,780 reviewer rep
1,638 forum posts

The jacket so far is awesome! Only had it a few days, but so far its a 5/5. Going to do a full review on it and probably post it up early spring after I have a chance to use it a good while. So far I am really liking it though.

Super warm, very water resistant, nice length, excellent hood, hand pockets, chest pocket, and an interior mesh pocket that will hold about two full size fuel canisters side by side. Think the mesh pocket is meant for a fly box or two.

So far I have been wearing it around the house and for work. Took it out in the river today for some winter fly fishing and it performed wonderfully. I am really digging the placement of the synthetic insulation . Most of the chest area is all the dri-down, while the hood, lower sleeves, shoulders and lower torso area is all the primaloft gold. Basically all the spots that would frequently get wet in a river fishing or in the rain.

Review to come on the Simms downstream jacket, the Simms Montana techwool 1/4zip pull over, and a pair of the Simms Exstream fold over mittens.

April 5, 2020
Quick Reply