Icebreaker store closing....

2:01 p.m. on January 22, 2017 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,809 reviewer rep
2,249 forum posts

three years ago, Icebreaker opened a store in Bethesda, Maryland.  Expensive merino wool base layers, clothes, accessories.  great store.  I guess it didn't work out so well, as the store is closing.  

everything there is 50% off until this Wednesday, when they shut the doors.  

5:01 p.m. on January 22, 2017 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
2,765 reviewer rep
1,638 forum posts

I have noticed a lot of Icebreaker items out of stock at a lot of retailers lately. Wonder if the company as a whole is having issues.

9:48 p.m. on January 23, 2017 (EST)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
376 forum posts

Icebreaker has been streamlining its operation for a few years now.

First in Europe,than Asia?Pacific and last year in the North American market.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/78235105/Icebreaker-merges-North-American-operations

I suspect it has to do with the fact that there is a lot more competition in fine wool now than there was just a few years ago.

I have bought (generic)  Merino T shirts for $30-40 that are as good as the older Icebreaker stuff.

(recently at a country fair here in Australia I was fondling 15 micron Merino ...nice)

8:30 a.m. on January 24, 2017 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
940 reviewer rep
783 forum posts

I have 4 shirts from them.  Three T's and the other is a longsleeve.  Their colors still look great after having them for 4 years now and the wool has softened some.  The only thing I don't like about the merino wool is if you sweat just a little bit in the shirt, it takes very long to dry and it does have a wet dog odor.  I only use the T's in cooler weather.  

5:20 p.m. on January 24, 2017 (EST)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
376 forum posts

works for me in hot weather too because by remaining wet it slows down sweating therefore i need to drink less than otherwise. The bonus here is that if going into the wind when damp it still feels warm.

11:16 p.m. on January 25, 2017 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,441 reviewer rep
604 forum posts

@Andrew: I hope you can snag yourself a good deal.

I've visited both their retail stores (TouchLabs they call them) and their outlet stores. Pretty tough place to find a bargain. 

6:52 a.m. on January 26, 2017 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,809 reviewer rep
2,249 forum posts

I bought a pair of boxer briefs and a pair of fingerless gloves.  The gloves are great, will have to review them.  All half price.

I think merino clothing has improved over the years.  Less likely to tear/more durable yet softer.  I agree, the differences among major brands are minor.  IBex, smartwool, icebreaker are all very nice.  

September 17, 2019
Quick Reply