point right direction?

9:46 a.m. on February 7, 2017 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

As profile says brand new basically to all this. Looking to ease into it and looking at gear. Right now researching backpacks and know they will depend on how it feels on me but just wondering what people thought.

Have looked at the Kelty Redwing 50, Bergins of Norway Helium 55 and a few others. Right now researching the Granite Gear Lutsen 55 (2016 model). Looking at the 55l and know may be too large but figured better to be too large then too small. I am a 16" (approx) torso length and wear 30" waist pants and the 2016 Lutsen has adj. torso and hipbelt for fine tuning guess it is. Have no local stores that really cater to backpacking, Field & Stream only one local with limited knowledge there. REI is 120 miles away and Cabelas is 100 (REI is down in Pittsurgh with WV Cabelas 50 miles further south so could check both same day).

Just wondering on if the adjability of the Lutsen is a + or - feature? Is it a good pack? Can't find anything on it in the pack comparison section.

Thanks. First question of many.

10:10 a.m. on February 7, 2017 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
9,709 reviewer rep
1,577 forum posts

Can't answer your specific question, but I would suggest the 2 hour drive to REI might be worth it when the time comes to make a decision. Different packs feel very different, at least to me, so trying them on before buying can help.

That being said, you may want to start at the other end of your list and wait to buy a pack until you have the rest of your gear figured out. Doing that will let you know what you'll be carrying, which sort of dictates which pack will work best for you. If you can load up all your gear and take it to the store when you go to try on packs you should be able to leave with a pack that will hold all of your gear and feel comfortable on your back. Doing it the other way is more of a crap shoot where you may find your pack is too small, too big, or just feels bad loaded up.

Oh, and welcome to TS! Keep asking questions because there are lots of folks here with good answers.

11:17 a.m. on February 7, 2017 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

TY. Like said am new but have been researching other forums (also like said just found this one). I'm more of a do-it-yourselfer so somethings have already. Stove is one plus am going the hammock route (had been thinking about the DIY route also but figure for the first time better not). Was just a "hang out" here in northern PA and went to it getting more of an eyes on experience to what have been studying, just under 20* that night. Would also be going with the UQ and TQ ane it would only be late spring to early fall (probably only June-Aug.) and mainlyjust here in southern to central PA. Also don't think mentioned here just for now planning on overnighters for a bit then ease into 2-3 day/night ones then to max of 4-5 (probably longest 3-4). Keeping it close to places know have access to for transportation out if find it is more then my physical problems allow. Only weighing 135# not going the UL route but also not figuring on getting a 4+ pound pack.

Thanks for the advice. Could just go to the Cabelas in Buffalo which is 100 but doesn't have an REI which figure is better to go to..

Oh, guess forgot to mention was looking (on-line at least) the pack and seemed the med. was probably the better size then the small but when get to REI can find out better.

11:47 a.m. on February 7, 2017 (EST)
148 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

I agree with lonestranger. Go to REI and take your gear with you if possible. A 55l should work for the trips you describe but it's still better to feel that weight on your back with a few different brands before you spend the money.

11:55 a.m. on February 7, 2017 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
4,071 forum posts

One right pack direction is ULA of Utah.

12:58 p.m. on February 7, 2017 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
9,709 reviewer rep
1,577 forum posts

Pack size is a lot about torso length and these days a lot of packs have belts you can change out if your width doesn't match your length. It all needs to fit well under load so you can focus on hiking rather than trying to keep your pack from killing you. That is why trying them on at a brick and mortar with gear or at least some sandbags is worth the effort.

You sound like you are well on your way. Go simple to get yourself out there and then start worrying about customized DIY projects. The more time you spend out there the more idea you'll have what to build when the time comes I'd think. Well, and you get to get out there sooner.

Have fun, be safe, take pics!

6:21 p.m. on February 7, 2017 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
4,083 reviewer rep
1,552 forum posts

All excellent advice...and ULA is a great brand but you wont find it in REI or the others so wouldn't be able to try it on while getting a feel for what you like. I second Ppines recommendation as I am a big fan of the ULA Ohm, but you may want to get your first pack from a brick and mortar store as pack comfort is a very individual thing.

On a pack being better too large than too small, one thing to watch out for in the early years is over packing just because you have room...

7:12 p.m. on February 7, 2017 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

TY again. Yeah like said figure better to go bigger then smaller and know that just because have the room don't need to fill it.

Lot of learning on all these forums and do figure just the overnighters and then into a few day/night hikes will allow to adjust my list of what to's and not's needed.

Thanks again.

7:39 p.m. on February 7, 2017 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,521 forum posts

Boots and packs should always be shopped in person.  Buying these items on the internet without first confirming they fit you is not a good strategy.

Ed

2:56 a.m. on February 8, 2017 (EST)
2,780 reviewer rep
1,638 forum posts

I would definitely make the trip to rei , preferably with all your gear. You might find a pack you love, if not it will give you a good idea what features you like and which you dont so that you can make an educated decision if purchasing elsewhere for a ula etc.

as far as the kelty redwing, its an ok pack but definitely not great. I have one and use it as a loaner pack or for my wife on the rare event she wants to join me. My biggest complaint with the redwing is that the straps slip alot including the hipbelt. Which makes for frequent adjustments on the trail ie annoying.

April 4, 2020
Quick Reply