Summer raincoat suggestions

9:22 a.m. on March 23, 2017 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Any suggestions on a raincoat I can wear while walking?  I have a 2 1/2 mile walk to and from the train and in the summer with my current raincoat I arrive drenched in sweat (it's great the other three seasons).  I tried an umbrella but it's just too windy (especially during heavy rain).

Do the really expensive super fancy jackets make a difference?  After last summer I'm willing to spend if it can solve my problem, but if the difference is vastly overstated by people trying to sell expensive stuff I guess I'll just deal with being wet or sweaty and keep a change of clothes at work.  

5:14 p.m. on March 23, 2017 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,246 forum posts

Out of the box: How 'bout rain chaps and a good big golf umbrella?

2 1/2 miles is almost an hours walk.  That much time in any rain gear will get sweaty if it keeps the rain out, unless its a real cold rain.  Are you wearing insulating layers too? Remove them. 

I have taken felt cowboy hats because removing a hood and unzipping a bit helps.  What I like more is a parasol; you only need half zip the main closures of your rain coat - a considerably more comfortable accommodation.  Some folks like coats with vents such as "pit" zips.  Personally I prefer hard shells that have the least seams and openings.

Ed 

5:37 p.m. on March 23, 2017 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,697 forum posts

Try a canvas Filson jacket.

8:05 a.m. on March 24, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,554 reviewer rep
1,335 forum posts

Where are you located? I tend to agree with Ed. I sweat a good bit on any walk over a half hour if it is relatively warm and/or humid. You can spend hundreds of dollars on the breathable rainwear and still end up damp on a regular basis. Also, I haven't found one that doesn't wear out and need to be treated again to regain it's water repelllency. Too much money for a theory that works well in a small weather window..just enough ran to allow breathability without saturating the outer layer and limiting the release of water vapor from sweat. I have tried many of them for work and hiking and just got tired of the performance for my metabolism. In winter I still use them though...

Won't help you but for spring through fall backpacking I am giving up on the "breathable" materials and going to try a light silnylon one for most times of the year that will keep me warm and won't wear over time. Generous pit zips and other adjustments are needed for venting.

10:55 a.m. on March 25, 2017 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks for the replies.  It sounds like it's not really worth the expense as it's not really going to get me that much more.  That's exactly what I wanted to know.

I'm in Boston.  A little humid and warm in the summer, but not that bad.  Out of the raincoat in my normal inside clothes I usually don't sweat too much, but in my raincoat I eventually overheat.  I've gone the umbrella route and it's just too windy the way that I walk.  It works in light rain/light wind, though.  

7:27 p.m. on March 25, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,027 forum posts

Dunno if you have a CostCo close by, but in my area, they are carrying a rain jacket (men's and women's style in a range of sizes) made by 32° at a pretty reasonable price. 32° has a pretty good reputation. At the price, we decided to get one for both my spouse and me (both men's style, since she likes the details better for getting out into the woods). The fabric has a very soft feel and is waterproof while breathing fairly well (only a slight amount of condensation during a couple of 7 mile hikes in the hills with 1500 ft of climb and descent, and a fairly heavy downpour - haven't had them long enough to do a full gear review yet -  we have been having a lot of heavy rains out here on the Left Coast since last Fall). They come with a stuff sack and both hand pockets and a pair of inside large pockets.

We do have several shell jackets (acquired over the years) that use GoreTex or H2NO (Patagonia) that work well in colder weather. These have pit zips, which helps tremendously with the ventilation.  

11:20 p.m. on March 25, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,612 reviewer rep
2,164 forum posts

a decent waterproof/breathable jacket with good armpit zips is probably your best option, but you're still likely to sweat if it's reasonably warm out.  

7:45 a.m. on March 26, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,612 reviewer rep
2,164 forum posts

If I were looking for a jacket with maximum breathability that is still waterproof, I would look at a polartec neoshell jacket.  Eastern mountain sports has a jacket on sale, the helix.  Neoshell is the most air-permeable waterproof and breathable membrane I have used.  Or look at the Rab neo guide, which has pit zips plus the neoshell membrane.

As a result, though, neoshell jackets are not my choice for cold and windy conditions.  They say this is 99% windproof - not my experience.    I use a soft she'll with neoshell for hard hikes, Nordic skiing, cycling in the winter, and a noticeable amount of wind gets through.  Great if your goal is to bleed some heat and moisture; gore tex and Event are better for blocking wind.

11:29 a.m. on March 30, 2017 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,697 forum posts

Canvas I tell you.

5:14 p.m. on March 31, 2017 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
44 forum posts

If in an area like the Deep South a poncho is your best bet when it comes to the humidity. As for rain pants, cutting down an old pair to capris or shorts does help.

April 24, 2019
Quick Reply