Tent Stakes

12:02 p.m. on April 13, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,802 reviewer rep
1,444 forum posts

Interested to see what type and variety of tent stakes you carry as I re-evaluate my list.  I tend to haul along a variety to cover different soil types rather than switch stakes for each trip (with some rare exceptions in extreme conditions like snow).  My current stake bag contains a couple of Easton long aluminum pegs, 4 ultralight titanium nail pegs, 4 MSR knock-off Y stakes, and a couple of titanium ascent stakes). The only ones I don't use as much are shepherd hooks - I prefer the nail peg as the hooks can rotate under stress in my experience.

Do you all carry a similar array or stick to one all-purpose stake type?  My solo tents are all trekking pole supported and not free standing so I like to make sure they hold up to high winds in rocky, loamy, sandy, and clayey soils.

12:25 p.m. on April 13, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,695 reviewer rep
1,459 forum posts

Phil, my stake bag is strikingly similar to yours. Two uber long Easton nails that I mostly haven't used because my half-dozen groundhogs work so well for ridgline/tie-out applications. (But hey, I found them at a second-hand shop for a buck, total...)

Otherwise, I do like my Ti shepherd hooks for the corners of my shelters and other less stressful uses. I have also accumulated a gaggle of generic aluminum shepherd hooks to gift to others when I learn a given backpacking partner is short on stakes.

7:27 p.m. on April 13, 2017 (EDT)
148 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

I'm using msr ground hogs. I have 14 total,  eight 6 inch and  six 9 inch.  Just mix them up depending on the ground and weather I expect to encounter. My new Big Agnes came with "j" stakes that work very well But because the tent is a single/double wall hybrid that requires a tight pitch I have been using the 9 inch msr's for the floor.

9:59 p.m. on April 13, 2017 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,923 forum posts

I like to set my tarp in the trees for wind and thermal protection. I use trees for the pull outs. I carry one set of small light stakes. If the ground is soft, I cover them with big rocks.

1:10 a.m. on April 14, 2017 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,392 forum posts

I generally use 6" Y stakes.  They penetrate really hard ground well, hold better than nails, and are hard to bend.  I find soft soils to be the issue, as sand stakes wide/long enough to do the job are too heavy to lug around.  When wind or soft soil warrants, I augment my stakes by placing heavy rocks on top of the cord leading to the stake, such that it weighs down on top of the stake, preventing it from lifting out of the ground, as Ppine describes.  In sand or on impenetrable surfaces I just tie guy outs to large rocks.  Fortunately rocks are plentiful almost everywhere I camp.  I use the dead man technique when camping on snow, utilizing whatever is at hand.

tent-stake-anchor.jpgAugmenting a stake out with a heavy rock, as shown above, creates a stout guy anchor.  Your cord or shelter will fail before the stake pulls out.

Ed 

9:22 a.m. on April 14, 2017 (EDT)
82 reviewer rep
468 forum posts

agree with the supplementary rock - works like a charm.

9:47 a.m. on April 14, 2017 (EDT)
273 reviewer rep
1,944 forum posts

I use Msr Groundhogs..I have different lengths ,,,Found them to be about the best.I have used shepards hooks and others..Things bend to easy,,,

5:03 p.m. on April 14, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,802 reviewer rep
1,444 forum posts

The rock works great but carrying one adds too much base weight! :)

6:33 a.m. on April 15, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,765 reviewer rep
1,638 forum posts

I am big fan of the MSR groundhogs / any Y stake. The Y stakes I have came with a nemo tent. Most any stake will hold well here where I am in the NE, but Y stakes definitely are superior in a broader range of soil types that most any other type of stake. I like shepherd hooks also mainly due to their weight, but they can only do so much. I usually have 4 Y stakes and 3-4 shepherd hooks with me. I use the Y stakes for the sides of my tarp and the hooks for pullouts and the doors.

4:42 p.m. on April 15, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,765 reviewer rep
1,638 forum posts

Speaking of shepherd hook stakes... I just had a tarp I am testing throw a shepherd hook during a strong wind gust so hard that it imbedded itself about a 1/4in into the kids plastic playscape nearby.

This is the first time I have ever had one thrown in many years of using them.

11:06 p.m. on April 18, 2017 (EDT)
262 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Another vote for MSR Ground hogs.  I have 14 6" ground hogs, 6 Ti nails, 6 snow stakes and the aluminum v stakes from my Sierra designs tents.  This covers all 4 seasons and types of ground I'll be covering. 

9:14 p.m. on May 25, 2017 (EDT)
954 reviewer rep
672 forum posts

Last week I had to use whomeorry's "rock technique" on my MSR Groundhog stakes after re-pounding them a couple of times without success. The rocks worked very well in crappy soil and windy conditions for my Tarptent Moment DW.

Normally my MSR Groundhog stakes work fine by themselves.

Eric B.

11:46 a.m. on May 30, 2017 (EDT)
2,056 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

I own about 50 various stakes for my tents:

IMG_1477.jpgMy favorites are DAC V-pegs (silver an yellow on photo), they are surprisingly strong for their weight. On large Kaitum tent I use 4 black Y-pegs for the corners, but they are somewhat "soft". For hammering into stony ground - titanium pegs. For winter - snow\sand pegs, eqipped with cords and carabiners. It's nice to have the cord loops on pegs for much easier pulling from the ground.

1:52 p.m. on May 30, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
8,578 reviewer rep
1,466 forum posts

That is quite the collection there Vladimir. Looks nice enough to frame all laid out like that. What are the two dowel/tube items on either side of the nails?

3:51 p.m. on May 30, 2017 (EDT)
2,056 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

These are DAC repair hubs for poles.

11:09 a.m. on June 13, 2017 (EDT)
34 reviewer rep
49 forum posts

I have about two dozen MSR Groundhogs. I carry 12 (the short ones) at any given time. The other dozen were for my ex, but she bailed on me. :P

9:01 p.m. on June 13, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,031 forum posts

I have a variety of stakes bought and found over the years.  If I know the location will take them, I take the "shepard's hook". In some soils, I can get them to work in a deadman.

I also use "Y" and "scoop" stakes. The "half-tube" work well in snow and sand for a deadman. I also use mesh bags for deadman in snow - light, hold well when burried (sometimes too well is the snow is melting and refreezing.

The overall best stake I have found I discovered at the Outdoor Retailer Show, being demonstrated by a backyard shop called ToughStake. I did a review of those about 4 year ago. ToughStakes was bought by Cascade Designs and is sold via their MSR division.

I have never had them bend or break, like so many stakes I have had. They are a bit on the heavy side - but in a blizzard, that's just fine.

The big problem with the ToughStake is the price that MSR is asking - $39.95 EACH. They really hold well in snow and sand (you do need to learn the trick to getting to hold well in sand).

I will admit that I usually use "T" and "Y" stakes because they are pretty light and can be used for a deadman. I find the aluminum curved tend to bend, especially when driving them into hard soil. The "snow stakes" that are curved and have holes are particularly easy to bend.

4:35 p.m. on June 14, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,173 reviewer rep
2,258 forum posts

Like others I have a hodge-podge but the ones I like the most are 8 inch Easton's that look like this except colored differently: 

010e5cc7-edcb-4d43-b6d6-202be21fb59b

A couple weeks ago I forgot my stake bag on trip to Shining Rock NC, and within a half day of inspecting campsites I passed, I found 6 stakes left behind. Only had to whittle three more for my tent. 

6:25 p.m. on June 14, 2017 (EDT)
107 reviewer rep
512 forum posts

Patman said:

Like others I have a hodge-podge but the ones I like the most are 8 inch Easton's that look like this except colored differently: 

010e5cc7-edcb-4d43-b6d6-202be21fb59b

A couple weeks ago I forgot my stake bag on trip to Shining Rock NC, and within a half day of inspecting campsites I passed, I found 6 stakes left behind. Only had to whittle three more for my tent. 

know what you mean I've found at least one on almost every hike and a shovel also

September 20, 2019
Quick Reply