do you think there is value in reviewing older/discontinued gear?

7:53 a.m. on May 5, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
7,318 reviewer rep
2,319 forum posts

a number of things I use regularly aren't made any more.  products discontinued, even companies out of business.  do you think there is any value to review those items on this site?

8:42 a.m. on May 5, 2017 (EDT)
447 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

I think there is plenty of value because they are often still available nos or used and may or may not be items people can use or stay away from...and who would know that better than people who have been using them?

9:28 a.m. on May 5, 2017 (EDT)
9,245 reviewer rep
1,532 forum posts

Depends on the item, but some things are classics and/or collectables and people will have interest in seeing the details. That plastic Kool-Aid canteen from '69 probably not so much :P

10:55 a.m. on May 5, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,842 reviewer rep
1,497 forum posts
11:28 a.m. on May 5, 2017 (EDT)
9,245 reviewer rep
1,532 forum posts

FlipNC said:

I asked the same question last year...

https://www.trailspace.com/forums/review-tips/topics/179538.html#179538 

My first thought on seeing this thread pop up was that someone was gravedigging that one :)

1:48 p.m. on May 5, 2017 (EDT)
3,842 reviewer rep
1,497 forum posts

I could barely remember it...surprised that anyone else could! Never hurts to have a fresh thread so others can chime in.

I definitely have a couple of older items on my future gear review list that are no longer available but have excluded a couple that really don't seem relevant...those that don't have descendants or newer models or brands that are gone or have changed drastically. I am always up for reading a good review, and even if it's not available it might help guide my thoughts on future purchases in the same category.

2:53 p.m. on May 5, 2017 (EDT)
1,310 reviewer rep
426 forum posts

I like seeing reviews of older gear that's either out of production or better than newer versions for whatever reason. They give me ideas of things to look for on eBay, Craigslist, in swap meets or flea markets, etc. 

4:42 p.m. on May 5, 2017 (EDT)
3,842 reviewer rep
1,497 forum posts

2 out of 2 Phils agree...and neither are dentists...

6:50 p.m. on May 5, 2017 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
411 forum posts

Yes, there is a ton of value.  Not only practical in the sense of someone wanting to use said item, but also, depending on the content, the information acts as a good reference to other gear and use.  There's never enough information or discerning opinion out here.  Bring it and sing it.

11:29 p.m. on May 5, 2017 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,503 forum posts

Review on old gear? 

Well you all know I am the luddite of the forum, old pack and all.  But let me tell you about my wrist sundial...

Ed

11:25 a.m. on May 6, 2017 (EDT)
447 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Is it heavy?

3:57 a.m. on May 8, 2017 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
378 forum posts

I do.

Several reasons.

Hard to improve a product if it isn't known what people liked in the old ones and what did work or not.

Last night I was reading a small guide book  from a local shop (Australia) , i enjoyed reading the comments about tent material and the fact that they already had 3 pound two person tents and 2 pound something backpacks in 1978.

Then they started to get heavier.. (adding features and all of that)

8:13 a.m. on May 8, 2017 (EDT)
253 reviewer rep
196 forum posts

Yes, definitely.  It can be hard to find instructions or tips for old gear, so reviews that are heavy on instructions, tips and pictures are great!

6:24 p.m. on May 8, 2017 (EDT)
6,956 reviewer rep
1,693 forum posts

I hate beginning a review with, "this is last year's model but..."

Doesn't mean I don't do it. 

9:19 a.m. on May 9, 2017 (EDT)
1,310 reviewer rep
426 forum posts

Most stuff that gets updated regularly (other than new colors) is either too expensive for or not valuable enough to me for me NOT to buy past-season models at substantial savings!

9:53 a.m. on May 10, 2017 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,048 forum posts

Of course. My favorite backpacking partner is still using all of his original equipment from the 1970s.  Contrary to what the slick magazines try to sell you, there is plenty of great used equipment around that works just fine.

8:59 p.m. on May 25, 2017 (EDT)
1,066 reviewer rep
715 forum posts

YEP! I love my old Princeton Tech  "Scout" headlamp. It uses 4 coin batteries that seem to last all 3 seasons. No red light but 2 brightness levels and 2 speeds of flashing light. That's plenty for me.

The Scout case back broke and when I called PT they said it was out of production but "Send it back and we will repair it." !! AMAZING!

I sent it to them and it came back with a new part in place of the broken case back.

I always preferred PT lights but now I'm a loyal customer.

This is kinda like those of us who still hang on to our SVEA 123 stoves because THEY WORK. And they are pretty much a classic that looks "beautiful" to we senior backpackers. And yes, I still have the companion SIGG Tourist cook kit/windscreen/base.

Eric B.

1:46 a.m. on May 26, 2017 (EDT)
3,148 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

I think there is always value in reviewing older gear and especially the gear where the design and features resulted in something very special and that really hit the sweet spot functionally and may have not really been improved upon over the last twenty or thirty years.

I think it is also helpful for people just getting into outdoor activities to understand how the equipment they are buying evolved from earlier designs so they can better appreciate the features that are important and proven over time verses features/bells and whistles that may have just been added to help sell a product, but really have no usefulness or value.

11:38 a.m. on May 26, 2017 (EDT)
482 reviewer rep
324 forum posts

Much of my gear is old (in the 20 year and older range) and considering the high cost of new gear, many people, such as myself, will frequently buy used gear as a cost saving measure. Also, I see that manufacturers may sometimes bring back older and popular designs. For example, the North Face is making a modified version of their Tuolumne tent. I wish they would bring back the original West Wind. 

10:59 a.m. on June 13, 2017 (EDT)
34 reviewer rep
49 forum posts

I think there's a lot of value in older gear recommendations/reviews. I often extol the virtues of my MSR Rapidfire stove. Not only are there a lot of hidden gems out there to be had for cheap, it's also great to hear how well gear stands up to aging.

Some of the older gear I'm still using includes my vintage Gerber Pro-Guide II knives, which were discontinued something like 25 years ago. My RidgeRest pads are now 18 years old and still working great (though, there is a silver-coated version still in production).

I think I paid $35 on eBay for my Rapidfire? A new Whisperlite Universal sells for $100 more. No thanks!

11:04 a.m. on June 13, 2017 (EDT)
34 reviewer rep
49 forum posts

By the way, if you want to learn about ultralight vintage gear, read outdoors books from the late 1800s-early 1900s. Granted, those guys planned on hunting their food, but their base weights were pretty slim. Too bad we can't get that 4 oz. Egyptian cotton balloon silk, anymore. :(

February 28, 2020
Quick Reply