Cot Material

7:27 p.m. on May 21, 2017 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
300 forum posts

Hi all...

I have been thinking of making a cot and I just need to see what some of you might know about materials.  I am looking for a material that is somewhat stretchable and strong.  I was thinking of neoprene.  This is for bike camping not backpacking. 

Thanks in advance....

7:26 a.m. on May 22, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
940 reviewer rep
782 forum posts

Neoprene doesn't have the tensile strength like nylon.  All cots that I've ever slept on use nylon.

10:31 a.m. on May 22, 2017 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
300 forum posts

Rob R said:

Neoprene doesn't have the tensile strength like nylon.  All cots that I've ever slept on use nylon.

Yeah...I kinda figured that.  I wanted to have a bit of stretch in order to make it a bit more comfortable.  My best outcome was to get it so that I did not need a pad.  I was going to do that with elastic cord laced around the sides (like some lounger chairs do) and then use nylon with a stretchier fabric sewn in where the shoulders are.   

4:36 p.m. on May 23, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,695 reviewer rep
1,424 forum posts

I say get to weavin'! Do it like a rattan chair, but just with paracord. P-cord has a decent amount of stretch, is mold/mildew resistant, takes high tensile loads, and can be had in awesomely funky colors. Plus it has a bit of integral cushion.

10:21 p.m. on May 23, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
940 reviewer rep
782 forum posts

Paracord is the wonder rope!  As in, "I wonder what I can make next?"

11:00 p.m. on May 23, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,695 reviewer rep
1,424 forum posts

April 23, 2019
Quick Reply