Great customer service - Mountain Hardwear tent

9:53 p.m. on July 21, 2017 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Hi everyone,

I'm a longtime lurker in these forums but I wanted to share a great customer service experience I just had.

At least 10 years ago I bought a Mountain Hardwear Hammerhead 2 tent for kayak camping. It's been great and is still in good condition apart from a single tear that I repaired with tenacious tape. 

Last week I was camping and accidentally broke a tent pole, or more accurately the ferrule that connects the pieces of the tent pole. The specs on the pole are 9 mm Atlas 7001 Aluminum. 

I expected that at such a late date, that the company would have nothing to offer me for repair solutions but thought it was worth a try. They haven't even made this model for many years. I contacted them via their Canadian website email address for warranty issues.

I had a reply in just a few days asking for more info and pics of the damaged pole ferrule. I sent some in and again had a reply in just a few days. This time they said they sent me the part, no questions asked and no bill to pay. Even more surprising, it seemed to be coming from a Canadian warehouse. 

The ferrule replacement (3 of them) arrived only a few days later. The repair was easy and the pole is as good as new. 

Totally impressed and I thought that it deserved a shout out. 

The tent is slow to put up and take down and is heavy and bulky compared to newer tents, but everything else about it is perfect for my needs. Someday will upgrade but it just keeps lasting. 

KP

12:50 a.m. on July 22, 2017 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,418 forum posts

That is most excellent.

I just took a Sleeve Oval Intention and a VE-25 fly in to TNF Store is in Seattle for warranty.  The Sleeve Oval Intention is about 45 years old and needs a new door zipper while the  VE-25 fly window degraded and clouded up and cracked.  The Sleeve OI zipper is being replaced while the VE-25 fly will either be fixed or replaced.

Regarding the slowness of set up with your tent and the weight issue.  Why would you replace a great piece or gear that is still working for you?

6:48 a.m. on July 22, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,985 reviewer rep
2,279 forum posts

good customer service deserves recognition - thanks for sharing.

9:58 a.m. on July 22, 2017 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Apeman, 

Why would I replace? Well, in my kayak camping routine, it's often important to take advantage of early morning calm conditions. That means packing up the camp, tarp and the tent needs to be fairly easy to not waste time. The last time I was out, it took me 2 hours from waking up to launching, and about 20-30 minutes of that was taking down the 3 layers of tent (fly, tent body, and groundcloth), carefully rolling them up or putting the body in a drybag. This is necessary for space efficient packing in the boat hatches. 

I've looked at the Hilleberg Allak and the Exped Orion and the setup vids look much quicker than my rig. Most of the Hille users don't even seem to bother with a groundcloth. But, as you point out, it makes little sense to replace a great piece of gear that is still working for me. Particularly as it cost <$200 10 years ago. That's why I'm not rushing. 

Though I carp about the weight and bulk, I really don't want to go with a wispy ultra-light tent like a Copper Spur; they seem too fragile and not durable for my needs. And I like to be able to close up the mesh with a fabric panel when it gets cold. 

KP

1:15 p.m. on July 22, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,827 reviewer rep
1,444 forum posts

I had a MH tent fly fail about 5 years ago...sent it for repair and they couldn't. Instead they offered me $150 credit on a tent that was 15 years old to go toward a new one. I decided I didn't want one of their tents so called again...they sent me a check for the 150. A great company...I'll certainly consider their products in future purchases.

4:34 a.m. on July 23, 2017 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,418 forum posts

gobsmacked said:

Apeman, 

Why would I replace? Well, in my kayak camping routine, it's often important to take advantage of early morning calm conditions. That means packing up the camp, tarp and the tent needs to be fairly easy to not waste time. The last time I was out, it took me 2 hours from waking up to launching, and about 20-30 minutes of that was taking down the 3 layers of tent (fly, tent body, and groundcloth), carefully rolling them up or putting the body in a drybag. This is necessary for space efficient packing in the boat hatches. 

I've looked at the Hilleberg Allak and the Exped Orion and the setup vids look much quicker than my rig. Most of the Hille users don't even seem to bother with a groundcloth. But, as you point out, it makes little sense to replace a great piece of gear that is still working for me. Particularly as it cost <$200 10 years ago. That's why I'm not rushing. 

Though I carp about the weight and bulk, I really don't want to go with a wispy ultra-light tent like a Copper Spur; they seem too fragile and not durable for my needs. And I like to be able to close up the mesh with a fabric panel when it gets cold. 

KP

LOL, well then I guess you've answered that question.  I myself am a fan of bigger, better, heavier and over engineered gear, especially tents.  I've seen far to many ripped, crushed broken tents........though that has never happened to me.  And rather than going with..........ummmm as you so eloquently put it,  with wispy ultra-light tents like the Copper Spurs and Agnes tents that seem so very fragile and not durable enough for your needs, it seems to me to be best to stay with a tent, or tents that work, and have been working for you.  As far as Hillebergs, well,.............damn, they are wonderful for many different reasons including some of the reasons that you want a new tent.  That's great.  The only down side I see to the Hillebergs is that they cost so very much.  I bought both of mine used, during the winter months for 75% off, used of course.  But, even though they are showing up more and more all the time they are still hard to find either used or at a good discount.  So I get what you saying but unless your willing to drop $500+ for a one man tent...........well that is up to you............But if you do.  Buy all means let us know what you decide to get.  Of course I subscribe the theory of different gear for different conditions...........So I have many tents for many conditions and needs.

December 10, 2019
Quick Reply