hodded middle weight fleece for thru hike

12:26 p.m. on July 23, 2017 (EDT)
George of the Jungle
490 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

I'm looking for a warm hooded fleece that weighs around a pound at most.  I like fleece because it's breathable, dries fast & insulates when wet, so no soft shell suggestions please.  I'd also prefer it to have hand pockets that zip. 

I intend on thru hiking the AT NOBO, starting in early april, and I'd like a higher quality insulating layer to keep me comfy & to help keep moral up on cold miserable days.  Thanks in advance for any input & suggestions!

12:46 p.m. on July 23, 2017 (EDT)
Joseph Renow @jrenow
REVIEW CORPS
1,757 reviewer rep
743 forum posts
1:56 p.m. on July 23, 2017 (EDT)
FlipNC
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
4,360 reviewer rep
1,669 forum posts

Don't have a recommendation myself...here is a sorted list of Trailspace reviews to get you closer to what you might need. you can sort further by rating etc. https://www.trailspace.com/gear/fleece-jackets/

8:58 a.m. on July 24, 2017 (EDT)
TheRambler
2,795 reviewer rep
1,638 forum posts

I generally don't like attached hoods except for rain jackets. A lot of hunting jackets seem to have detachable hoods, I stole one off of an old jacket of mine and use it 95% of the time now. I made the recommendation to a few others to go to thrift stores/used clothing stores and look for jackets with a detachable hood and people seem to be having good success finding one, and most can be had for under $10 at least in my area.

If you were open to something like that instead of having an attached hood your options would be greatly expanded.

I have an eddie baur fleece pullover that I used for quite a long time that I have recently retired it in favor of a Simms Montana techwool pullover that I got a good deal on this past winter. Will be posting a review on it later in the year after I get more time in cold weather with it to finish testing it out thoroughly but so far I am loving it.

9:36 p.m. on July 24, 2017 (EDT)
Jake W
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,011 reviewer rep
1,086 forum posts

My favourite hooded fleece is the Patagonia Piton Hybrid, although it doesn't have hand zip pockets, only a chest zip.

5:40 a.m. on July 25, 2017 (EDT)
denis daly
273 reviewer rep
1,962 forum posts

USMC Peckman !00  fleece jacket...NO hood on ebay weighs 11.7oz...I used this on a NOBO section hike to Virginia from Georgia in September thru october Two years ago...You can still get them and they only run about 15 bucks to 23...Worthwhile to have...I have 2

7:00 a.m. on August 1, 2017 (EDT)
andrew f. @leadbelly2550
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
8,035 reviewer rep
2,383 forum posts

patagonia's r3 hoody is great, with some colors currently available half price. weighs a little over your max. handwarmer pockets don't zip. on the warm side. without a shell, little wind resistance; under a shell, very warm.

11:39 a.m. on August 5, 2017 (EDT)
George of the Jungle
490 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

I bought the patagonia R3, and am very pleased so far.  It weighs just under a pound on my postage scale, has 5 pockets, and a hood.  I wore it out in a heavy rain storm last night , and it took a while for the moderate rain at the beginning of the storm to get through.  It never got cold enough to test how well it insulates, but I think I'm going to be very pleased.  It's very soft to the touch , and has a very high quality feel to it.  Thanks for the suggestions!

1:02 p.m. on August 5, 2017 (EDT)
madmarmot
-10 reviewer rep
45 forum posts

Melanzana made in Leadville Colorado has phenomenal fleece hoodies, they have a variety of weights and options but  Polartec fleece and have been around for years. They're a local secret so reviews may not be as prevalent but being an owner of a couple you will not be disappointed by them.

July 11, 2020
Quick Reply