hodded middle weight fleece for thru hike

12:26 p.m. on July 23, 2017 (EDT)
470 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

I'm looking for a warm hooded fleece that weighs around a pound at most.  I like fleece because it's breathable, dries fast & insulates when wet, so no soft shell suggestions please.  I'd also prefer it to have hand pockets that zip. 

I intend on thru hiking the AT NOBO, starting in early april, and I'd like a higher quality insulating layer to keep me comfy & to help keep moral up on cold miserable days.  Thanks in advance for any input & suggestions!

12:46 p.m. on July 23, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,747 reviewer rep
743 forum posts
1:56 p.m. on July 23, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,802 reviewer rep
1,444 forum posts

Don't have a recommendation myself...here is a sorted list of Trailspace reviews to get you closer to what you might need. you can sort further by rating etc. https://www.trailspace.com/gear/fleece-jackets/

8:58 a.m. on July 24, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,765 reviewer rep
1,638 forum posts

I generally don't like attached hoods except for rain jackets. A lot of hunting jackets seem to have detachable hoods, I stole one off of an old jacket of mine and use it 95% of the time now. I made the recommendation to a few others to go to thrift stores/used clothing stores and look for jackets with a detachable hood and people seem to be having good success finding one, and most can be had for under $10 at least in my area.

If you were open to something like that instead of having an attached hood your options would be greatly expanded.

I have an eddie baur fleece pullover that I used for quite a long time that I have recently retired it in favor of a Simms Montana techwool pullover that I got a good deal on this past winter. Will be posting a review on it later in the year after I get more time in cold weather with it to finish testing it out thoroughly but so far I am loving it.

9:36 p.m. on July 24, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,018 reviewer rep
1,050 forum posts

My favourite hooded fleece is the Patagonia Piton Hybrid, although it doesn't have hand zip pockets, only a chest zip.

5:40 a.m. on July 25, 2017 (EDT)
273 reviewer rep
1,944 forum posts

USMC Peckman !00  fleece jacket...NO hood on ebay weighs 11.7oz...I used this on a NOBO section hike to Virginia from Georgia in September thru october Two years ago...You can still get them and they only run about 15 bucks to 23...Worthwhile to have...I have 2

7:00 a.m. on August 1, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,809 reviewer rep
2,249 forum posts

patagonia's r3 hoody is great, with some colors currently available half price. weighs a little over your max. handwarmer pockets don't zip. on the warm side. without a shell, little wind resistance; under a shell, very warm.

11:39 a.m. on August 5, 2017 (EDT)
470 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

I bought the patagonia R3, and am very pleased so far.  It weighs just under a pound on my postage scale, has 5 pockets, and a hood.  I wore it out in a heavy rain storm last night , and it took a while for the moderate rain at the beginning of the storm to get through.  It never got cold enough to test how well it insulates, but I think I'm going to be very pleased.  It's very soft to the touch , and has a very high quality feel to it.  Thanks for the suggestions!

1:02 p.m. on August 5, 2017 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
45 forum posts

Melanzana made in Leadville Colorado has phenomenal fleece hoodies, they have a variety of weights and options but  Polartec fleece and have been around for years. They're a local secret so reviews may not be as prevalent but being an owner of a couple you will not be disappointed by them.

September 16, 2019
Quick Reply