Bedrock water sandals

9:35 a.m. on August 9, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,545 reviewer rep
2,159 forum posts

as i was drafting a review of a pair of chacos i picked up, replaced my nine year old Z/2s this summer, i ran across some reviews of Bedrock's Cairn. have never seen any up close. i don't need a pair of sandals, and the lack of arch support would probably nix them for me, but a pretty interesting design and a very enthusiastic following. some deeper research indicated this company is relatively new, launched via Kickstarter 5 or 6 years ago, everything manufactured from their California home base. https://bedrocksandals.com/products/cairn-pro 

Not yet reviewed on this site.

BEDROCK-1004_1_grande.jpg

10:56 a.m. on August 28, 2017 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,656 forum posts

Open sandals are okay, but the new water shoes are now cheap and readily available. They protect the toes and do not come off in fast water.  Crocs are great for backpacking. They are light and protect the feet. The strap can be used to keep them on in mud and deep water. 

12:59 p.m. on September 1, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,747 reviewer rep
741 forum posts

I'm with ppine...I use wetshoes in whitewater and Crocs or muck-boots on paddling trips where I am camping. I never understood the advantage of open sandals?

2:36 p.m. on September 1, 2017 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,656 forum posts

I wore some mocassins I made once in the Boundary Waters. I kicked a tree root and broke my big toe but had no choice but to walk on it for a week.  After that I have always worn shoes with toe protection that stay on the feet in rough water. 

3:43 p.m. on September 1, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,545 reviewer rep
2,159 forum posts

I like toe protection when i'm around boats, and I wear Keen sandals for that - a now-discontinued model, the hydro guide, or a pair of flip-flops they make with a covered toe. 

i have only used fully enclosed water shoes a few times, and i haven't liked them, even though they do protect your toes. this is all personal preference stuff, of course.

for me, they take longer to dry. they are much more likely to start smelling bad. some (not all) are more prone to pulling off your feet if you end up in deep muck. and they can be pretty annoying if sand/stones/muck get in, because it's much more of a pain to clear that stuff. an open sandal, you dip your feet in the water, and most junk washes off.

March 18, 2019
Quick Reply