New sleeping bag

6:01 a.m. on November 14, 2017 (EST)
1,310 reviewer rep
429 forum posts

Well, last night I pulled the trigger on a Western Mountaineering Cypress GWS sleeping bag, I still feel a little sick now LOL. I’m sure the feeling will pass the first time I’m nice and comfy in temps well below zero. Now I guess I’ll get rid of my heavy synthetic bags. 

8:35 a.m. on November 14, 2017 (EST)
273 reviewer rep
1,962 forum posts

Phil with good care to the bag it will last a long time...I love my Western Mountaineering bag...I've had it for seven years now...It's a worthwhile investment...

9:54 a.m. on November 14, 2017 (EST)
82 reviewer rep
492 forum posts

Years ago, I was in grad school and money was tight, but i decided to spring for a top of the line down bag, Gerry Mountaineering, weight 3 lbs. Cost $100 (a king's ransom then) No temp rating in those days, but I used it several times in minus F conditions, experiencing many comfy nights.Fifteen years later it was stolen or I would still be using it.  Basically, it was one of the best investments I ever made.

I'll bet you will have the same experience.  But keep those heavier bags.  They will come in handy in many ways..

11:27 a.m. on November 14, 2017 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
7,665 reviewer rep
2,334 forum posts

Hard to put a price on a good night's sleep while winter hiking. that looks like an very nice bag.  did you get the regular or the long? i'm five foot nine, but i like being able to put a stuff sack in the bottom with some basic clothes - makes getting up and out easier if you're swapping base layers or socks into something semi-warm.

I'm amazed at how prices for good winter down bags have increased. the winter bag i have been using the last several years, mountain hardwear's ghost, has increased at least 25% (and i got mine off-season for 30% off).

4:32 p.m. on November 14, 2017 (EST)
1,066 reviewer rep
716 forum posts

Yeah, I hear you but you will be glad you bought it.

Last fall I sold my heavy, old -20 F. Mountain Hardware synthetic bag, compression stuff sack and storage sack. 

Then I got LL Bean's -20 F. down bag on a big sale. Down Tek DWR treated 750 fill goose down with the very best collar and hood construction and closures I've ever seen on a winter bag. Used it once last year and I love it. This winter I have four trips planned.

BTW, I've had an overstuffed WM Megalite (now a 20 F. bag) for the past 6 years and it's a great bag. With poly long johns and synthetic insulated pants and jacket I can be very comfortable at 5 F. - coldest I've used it so far.

Eric B.

7:12 p.m. on November 14, 2017 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
3,278 reviewer rep
2,296 forum posts

Nice Phil!

I have two myself now: the Lynx (-10F) and an Apache (15F) that I bought new but damaged (hole stabbed through it and patched with tear-aid tape). That Lynx was crazy expensive and I felt uneasy about it initially, but after using it the last 6 winters I have to agree with previous comments: totally worth it.

10:21 p.m. on November 14, 2017 (EST)
940 reviewer rep
783 forum posts

That's a nice bag! 

10:30 a.m. on November 15, 2017 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
3,278 reviewer rep
2,296 forum posts

Just curious Phil why did you go with GWS? Planning to camp in windy places?

11:21 a.m. on November 15, 2017 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
4,083 reviewer rep
1,552 forum posts

I dropped a chunk of change on a Feathered Friends bag a number of years ago.  Still haven't regretted it a bit when it gets cold.  Planning on another one for even lower temps in the future.

2:25 p.m. on November 15, 2017 (EST)
1,310 reviewer rep
429 forum posts

The -30 Cypress only comes in GWS, and none of their other bags in that temp range are big enough in the shoulders. 

8:06 p.m. on November 15, 2017 (EST)
1,066 reviewer rep
716 forum posts

Phil, I hear you on more bag girth at the shoulders. That's why I got a WM Megalite. And my LL Bean -20 down bag is decently wide enough that when I'm inside with my down puffy EB jacket on it does not compress the sleeping bag. 

I am sure that with the EB puffy and Montbell down pants I can go to -30 or (perhaps)  -40 F. But a good fleece balaclava is a necessity at sub zero temps.

Eric B.

9:15 p.m. on November 15, 2017 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
46 forum posts

Buyer's remorse is, your only real problem. I have a 1999 Bristlecone sleeping bag from W.M., it has similar dimensions to your Cypress sleeping bag, its just not as warm. I have truly loved owning my Bristlecone.

I have looked at other sleeping bags from other companies Big Agnes, REI, The North Face, etc. but, I have not found any other brands that make sleeping bags as wide and having a large number sub-zero temperature sleeping bags.  Other than double wide sleeping bag, your choices are limited.
   Once over the buyer's remorse, I hope you will truly enjoy your W.M. Cypress sleeping bag.

9:43 p.m. on November 15, 2017 (EST)
1,310 reviewer rep
429 forum posts

I’m over the buyer‘s remorse now and am looking forward to testing it out. It’s possible I’ll be able to go back up Mt Chocorua Friday night, temps are supposed to be around 10F with high winds so conditions will be similar to last week’s test. If not this weekend it’ll be at least 2 before my next chance, and that’s if temps are cold enough. 

Right now I’m trying to decide if I’ll return the NEMO bag or not. It’ll make a really nice 15F bag, and fill the gap between the WM and the Sierra Designs Mobile 800 that should be good to 30F-ish. 

5:49 p.m. on November 16, 2017 (EST)
1,310 reviewer rep
429 forum posts

Holy cow, this thing is huge! In its storage sack it’s almost the size of a 30-gallon trash can. I tried stuffing it into the 30l compression sack I have, but didn’t cram it in tightly enough at first so it didn’t quite fit. I may need to go up a size. And hop it’ll fit in the sleeping bag compartment on my Aether AG 70. 

Size-wise on me it’s just barely big enough, the last 6-8” of the zipper are tricky. But I don’t feel like I’m compressing the down around my shoulders too much. I should still have room between my feet for my boots in a bag, and any damp baselayer around my legs & torso. I’m looking forward to trying it out! And finding a cat-proof place to put it!

1:02 a.m. on November 17, 2017 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
46 forum posts

I wish you the "best of luck", you have some great sleeping bags, your trips are a little to cold for me.  When I purchase my W.M. Bristlecone bag I requested the next larger size stuff sack and, storage bag.

10:01 a.m. on November 17, 2017 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
4,071 forum posts

I have had two good down bags in the last 50 years.  I never got interested in snow moutaineering, but have been on a few overnight x-c trips.  For really cold conditions I have mostly been hunting with either a truck or pack animals that could carry a bag plus wool blankets.  A few times I have used two sleeping bags.  A below zero bag is once in awhile piece of equipment that costs a lot so I have never owned one.  I have a friend that made a Holubar bag from a kit that was rated for something like -20.  He has been too hot on camping trips for 40 years. 

April 4, 2020
Quick Reply