Choosing the best marshmallow roasting stick for a beginner

1:50 a.m. on December 22, 2017 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hey guys! I’ve occasionally had the opportunity of camping and always had amazing, memorable experiences. Decided to pick it up as a serious hobby now moreso the marshmallow roasting part but I don’t really know much about it. I’m sick of using twigs, so I’m looking to invest in a stick of my own. Saw some great options compared on this site and am leaning towards the bamboo marshmallow roasting stick:
I’ve set myself a budget of $10 for the stick – what do you guys recommend? Ideally something that doesn’t require too much initial customization! Thanks ahead for all the help!
Martin.

2:08 a.m. on December 22, 2017 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,392 forum posts

Metal dry cleaners garment hanger - free.  Bend to shape with bare hands.

Ed

2:29 a.m. on December 22, 2017 (EST)
RETAILER
114 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

Agreeing with whomeworry here, a thinner dry cleaner hanger works great. You can head into just about any store like Walmart and find a value pack of roasting skewers in the camping section that shouldn't be too expensive. You don't need anything fancy to roast a marshmello!

6:46 a.m. on December 22, 2017 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
8,578 reviewer rep
1,466 forum posts

If you are only concerned about price and function the baseline Coleman model might work well for you. https://www.coleman.com/extendable-cooking-fork/2000016389.html

If you are willing to spend a few more dollars you can find models with wooden handles. We have a longer set with good handles but they don't collapse. Those go along on all of our car camping trips as they are great for weenie roasting as well as marshmallow toasting. Most folks think of single toasting on a stick, but with a fork you can toast more at one time.

If you do decide you want to get in to customization later, I took blocks of wood and drilled holes in them to use as tine protectors when not in use. That makes them much safer to transport in the car or in a pack.

didyouwanttotalkabouttheweather.jpg
Did you want to talk about marshmallow sticks or just chit chat?

9:46 a.m. on December 22, 2017 (EST)
3,173 reviewer rep
2,258 forum posts

LS you crack me up.

And to the OP: Who knew this much thought ever went into roasting marshmallows? I feel like an uncouth simpleton now. :)

I do recall that a friend of mine took it up a notch: he roasts Nabisco Pinwheels and doe s in fact use a long fork. 

10:23 a.m. on December 22, 2017 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,802 reviewer rep
1,444 forum posts

I have no preference or advice on marshmallow roasting sticks - prefer to scrounge what I can but its been years since I used one.  Only one warning from past experience...if due to miscommunication someone forgets the Graham Crackers and chocolate and all you have is camping snacks and marshmallows, trust me that "Smoreos" are a much better name than they are to taste!

12:10 p.m. on December 22, 2017 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,371 forum posts

WE used to cut off a green wood stick and peel the bark off near the tip to roast the marshmellow on. Some people use straightened metal clothes hangers.

1:31 p.m. on December 22, 2017 (EST)
5,018 reviewer rep
1,050 forum posts

Has the world really come to this? Is this really happening?

2:53 p.m. on December 22, 2017 (EST)
8,578 reviewer rep
1,466 forum posts

Oh its happening alright! People know TS is THE place to turn to for gear info, no matter how obscure. We have expert opinions on pretty much any subject you can think of and are willing to back it up with years of experience and detailed info.

DSC02748a.jpg
These bad boys are the Coghlan 9195 Camp Fork. Heavy duty chrome plated steel to handle your toughest marshmallows without needing to be sharpened in the field. While they don't collapse for travel, the 41" total length allows you to keep your fingers cool while keeping the business end of this fork over the fire and you don't have to worry about it collapsing under load.

DSC02749a.jpg
MYOG aficionados will appreciate the craftsmanship of this handmade scabbard I created  in my wood shop based on my own design. You can also appreciate the heavy gauge steel tines in this shot. When you are working with a natural skin wiener or a skinned Italian sausage you don't want to trust your luck with a wire coat hanger.

The little one is home early from school due to snow so I have to run, but I'll be monitoring this thread all weekend in case folks have questions about the 9195s. Happy Holidays to all :)

3:07 p.m. on December 22, 2017 (EST)
3,802 reviewer rep
1,444 forum posts

Heavy duty chrome plated steel to handle your toughest marshmallows

For some reason this struck me as the funniest phrase I have seen in a while - thanks for the laugh LS!

PS It's probably time to get fresher marshmallows!

3:13 p.m. on December 22, 2017 (EST)
403 reviewer rep
257 forum posts

Don't use green Black Cherry sticks

4:17 p.m. on December 22, 2017 (EST)
148 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Plus 1 for the Coghlan. This is the 644166 extendable model working on some venison. I have to think my dear friend Johnny Walker for handling the cooking duties while I took a picture.
IMG_20160424_202147755_HDR.jpg

6:42 p.m. on December 22, 2017 (EST)
5,018 reviewer rep
1,050 forum posts

LoneStranger said:

Oh its happening alright! People know TS is THE place to turn to for gear info, no matter how obscure. We have expert opinions on pretty much any subject you can think of and are willing to back it up with years of experience and detailed info.

Alright. I just wanted to make sure I knew the rules of engagement here, as jealousy may rear its ugly head.

I present to you the apex of the modern marshmallow stick engineering.

688BEA24-AB1F-45CF-BEBA-C8B2E0957EF2.jpg

Made from Maple (mostly likely as I was standing under a Maple tree thats in my back yard) that was ecologically harvested (I found it on the ground). Note the 90 degree angle on the handle which prevents wrist fatigue for those fat dollar store mellows. Hand crafted using my child scissors... these are a one off. Good luck finding them in stores. Although I will make you one for $10 each (shipping and handling extra, and I do that thing where I blatantly charge you way more than the actual shipping cost to make a little extra for myself). Carefully filed down to a chisel point at the perfect 1/8 of an inch thick.

Order now, don't delay, you won't see this again...unless you pick up literally any stick and make one yourself.

7:48 p.m. on December 22, 2017 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,392 forum posts

Perhaps one can use their trekking pole...

Ed

8:10 p.m. on December 22, 2017 (EST)
107 reviewer rep
512 forum posts

Now I must say you fellas are going about this all wrong. Y’all need to add a little science to your methodology 

You simply must use the new age telescopic magnet rod $3 that is sold in every auto-parts,walmarts and flea market across the country.

6B7B01FC-4FAA-46B3-8872-D784A158FCAF.png

1st you hacksaw off the magnet 

2nd you impale said marshmallows with The appropriate space between each one

3rd you extend said rod out towards the flame. Cook to desired texture 

note

If your hands are too hot extend rod further being very careful so as not to burn the rod itself as this will cause the metal coating to flake off into your marshmallow, that will cut your esophagus or at the very least get stuck in your teeth.

Remember to always use proper care with your trusty telescopic rod oiling it with Crisco cooking oil is bests. But I’m a pinch 30 weight motor oil will do, it’s just not as healthy for you and will leave a terrible after taste 

p.s. And never leave home without your trusty Fire Stroking Fan. TS september 2015 

Re: Seeking a fire stoking hand fan.

8:34 p.m. on December 22, 2017 (EST)
107 reviewer rep
512 forum posts

@LS and all others 

LMAO

8:40 p.m. on December 22, 2017 (EST)
107 reviewer rep
512 forum posts

Old Guide said:

Don't use green Black Cherry sticks

Please elaborate as to why. The community and I would be deeply grateful for any imsight you could share and especially the OP

8:43 p.m. on December 22, 2017 (EST)
107 reviewer rep
512 forum posts

whomeworry said:

Ed

Now Ed you may have hit on something there especially if it’s possible to attach a knitting needle on the end. Heck ya would not even have to get up and walk to the fire 

That is a sign of a brilliant mind! You rock friend

9:33 p.m. on December 22, 2017 (EST)
6,809 reviewer rep
2,249 forum posts

10 dollars? you can get a bag of 25 wood skewers at any of the box hardware stores (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) for 5 bucks or less.  and you can toss them in the fire when you're done.  

11:08 p.m. on December 22, 2017 (EST)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
376 forum posts

I don't understand why there are no custom made foldable Ti sticks .

Does anyone have an app to let you know when the marshmallows are ready ?

5:37 a.m. on December 23, 2017 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,392 forum posts

John Starnes said:

whomeworry said:

Ed

Now Ed you may have hit on something there especially if it’s possible to attach a knitting needle on the end. Heck ya would not even have to get up and walk to the fire 

That is a sign of a brilliant mind! You rock friend

OMG!  John, I truly think the world would be in danger if we ever got together. 

Ed

5:43 a.m. on December 23, 2017 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,392 forum posts

Dang, Franco, you made my side ache laughing!  But I am low tech, so an app won't work, but perhaps a digital readout thermometer where the probe is also the skewer?

Ed

5:25 p.m. on December 23, 2017 (EST)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
376 forum posts

You are low tech ?

I don't even have a smart phone , well not even a dumb one.

Why would I want to have a phone smarter than me ? 

A digital thermometer built in sounds good. In fact it would be better with a built in alarm, just in case one has fallen asleep or somewhat distracted. 

5:51 p.m. on December 23, 2017 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,392 forum posts

Franco said:

You are low tech ?

I don't even have a smart phone , well not even a dumb one.

I am totally with you!  The windows on my truck crank, and the seats manually adjust.  My only phone is a land line, by choice.  And to think I live in tech obsessed Los Angeles.  I actually consider the land line option as indicative of a level of status, such that I don't need to be at someone's instantaneous beckon to get by.  Furthermore it affords the luxury of virtual solitude or ability to fully engage my immediate surroundings without distractions from beyond, while everyone else is distracting everybody else with mindless texts, or ignoring the world about them, as they consume web content like their life depended on it.

Ed

8:52 p.m. on December 23, 2017 (EST)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
376 forum posts

I am on a small bush property less than two miles from a small city.

This is the Xmas photo that my wife is sending out :

Ripper-in-the-garden.jpg
A young roo we call Ripper inside our "Japanese" garden next to the fish pond. I know her mother and her grandmother... 

They are not pets, just part of a 15 strong mob that visits although some are here most of the time. 

11:27 a.m. on December 25, 2017 (EST)
192 reviewer rep
36 forum posts

Yes, you can use your trekking pole, if you don't care about the scorch marks. Harvesting a long dead stick does better. Then you add one of these.

http://www.lightmyfire.com/products/products/grandpas-firefork.aspx

As a kid we would get a green willow branch from the creek and whittle a clean point on the end -- how you learn to whittle with that knife you got for Christmas when you're six.

7:13 p.m. on December 25, 2017 (EST)
107 reviewer rep
512 forum posts

Lori it looks like you have a definite winner there. At least with the UL crowd and us old men. 

But I would like to throw in this one sold at academy sports I saw on Christmas  eve
9A45B74D-8963-4EF2-90E4-4592714745C6.jpgI do believe it will take over the markets with the new age crowd and after Christmas specials, will make it incredibly affordable. Plus it will save me all that hacksawing and LS can use his wood chalks with it.

Think I’ll buy some stock.

10:18 a.m. on December 26, 2017 (EST)
4,956 reviewer rep
1,095 forum posts

A few years ago I got in trouble for posting a photo of some "risque" (and I suppose potentially offensive) roasting sticks, so this time I'll just post a link, and y'all can take the bait or not depending on your sensitivities...

3:01 a.m. on December 29, 2017 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,392 forum posts

BigRed said:

A few years ago...

Oh boy! here comes the smut, Martha!

Ed

9:48 p.m. on January 3, 2018 (EST)
403 reviewer rep
257 forum posts

I have read they are toxic for food so just passed it along. I never tried it and always found something else. Sorry for not seeing your post sooner.

6:53 p.m. on January 4, 2018 (EST)
403 reviewer rep
257 forum posts

Also, regarding the Black Cherry, three or four winters ago one of my neighbors, who is at least ten yrs older than I was burning brush up back on our property lines. It was snowing and windy so I walked up to check on him and say hi and brought along a bag of marshmallows.

I didn't know what he would think about the marshmallows but when I asked if he wanted one he said 'Sure, get a couple sticks and I'll get us a couple of buckets to sit on." And as I walked away he shouted 'Don't get black cherry'.

So there, besides what I read, is a second source of the possible danger of BC.

My neighbor trapped until a couple years ago and hunted all his life from Alaska, the Yukon and Alberta [he goes to Alberta for 2 weeks every year] to the Western US and here in Pa and NY. He knows the woods.

I looked for the book I had read it in and thought it was ' Medsgars Edible Wild Plants' but unless I missed it that isn't the book.

That's all I can tell you right now.

BC is an excellent firewood and lumber but I'd use caution as a cooking stick.

5:49 p.m. on January 7, 2018 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

"Has the world really come to this? Is this really happening?"

ha ha, yeah, that was ONE of my initial thoughts

9:56 p.m. on January 7, 2018 (EST)
273 reviewer rep
1,944 forum posts

Red that's funny and yes sometimes we need humor here...

9:47 p.m. on January 31, 2018 (EST)
1,452 reviewer rep
1,347 forum posts

FlipNC said:

Heavy duty chrome plated steel to handle your toughest marshmallows

For some reason this struck me as the funniest phrase I have seen in a while - thanks for the laugh LS!

PS It's probably time to get fresher marshmallows!

LOL :-D

September 18, 2019
Quick Reply