Ice traction for kids

8:05 p.m. on February 1, 2018 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,204 reviewer rep
393 forum posts

I have a 14 year old nephew who’s small for his age, and his shoe size is too small for even XS spikes. Does anyone know of anyone who makes kid-sized ice traction devices? Kahtoola or Hillsound types, not full crampons. Thanks. 

8:28 p.m. on February 1, 2018 (EST)
1,977 reviewer rep
362 forum posts

Maybe get some XS from a Chinese knock-off, where sizes tend to run smaller than usual?

10:40 p.m. on February 1, 2018 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
2,750 reviewer rep
1,638 forum posts

What I do is go to one of the plethora of second hand stores, in my area I have several kid specific ones such as once upon a child. I find a pair of suitable sized boots(which there always seems to be an abundance of here in the NE) and I then use stabilicer screws and insert them into the soles. I have had great luck with this.

Shoes 5-15$, and I have been reusing the same bag of like $3 screws for two seasons now. If you already have a pair of dedicated shoes for winter hiking then you could just add the scews. When you take them out the rubber usually self heals fairly well.

I am planning to do this until my son fits in the smallest size traction aids.

9:15 a.m. on February 2, 2018 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,204 reviewer rep
393 forum posts

Both good ideas, I think what I’ll do first is measure his shoes and see how they compare to smaller women’s sizes. I can probably do that right at their house, his mother is only 4’10” and I’m sure her feet are pretty small. 

May 25, 2019
Quick Reply