REI Flash air mattress

12:38 a.m. on February 9, 2018 (EST)
905 reviewer rep
562 forum posts

I don't live in a cave and I visit my local REI store religiously (yep, about once a week). So when I saw the REI Flash mummy-shaped air mattress today I was surprised at:

1. The "low" $100. price  (relative to similar mattresses)

2. the comfort

3. The 3.7 R value

4. The 15 oz. weight for a size Regular

5. The dual inflate/deflate air valves

Am I the last backpacker to discover this very interesting mattress? 

Maybe I'll sell my Prolite Regular and get this. (Don't worry, I can stop buying backpacking gear anytime I want. I've done it hundreds of times.)

With my Ridgerest under it I think it would be good for any winter weather (to -30 F.) that I'd be willing to try in my -20 F. down bag and puffy clothing.

And for backpack hunting in late October above 8,000 ft. in Nevada it would be perfect. Temps rarely go below -10 F. that time of year. Usually not even to 0 F.

Eric B. 

10:00 a.m. on February 9, 2018 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
940 reviewer rep
780 forum posts

Looks like a good deal. If you do get it, it would be interesting to know if it has that crinkly sound like the Neo-air X Lite does.

9:33 p.m. on February 13, 2018 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

What kind of ammo do you use for Backpack hunting? Is there a limit on how many backpacks you can get in a season...lol... sorry I could not resist. Backpack hunting sounded like a sport. 

I am also looking to get a new pad, the Sea to Summit Ultralight pad.

4:32 p.m. on February 14, 2018 (EST)
905 reviewer rep
562 forum posts

Hee, hee,

Well Gary, I haven't shot any backpacks yet but I've WANTED to B/C the people wearing them were such jerks. Of course I wouldn't shoot the owners, I'd just (hypothetically) shoot through them from the sides of the packs to give the owners a bad day.

I'll check out the Sea to Summit UL pad. I use several sizes of their dry sacks. Good stuff. (No pun intended.)

Eric B.

August 18, 2018
Quick Reply