Sea to Summit sleeping pad

11:03 a.m. on February 13, 2018 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,290 forum posts

I plan to replace my sleeping pad with this newer easier to inflate pad. After a days worth of cycle touring, its tiring to blow 20 breathes of air to blow up my current pad.

459ac628-97ec-405b-bb63-6157362513df.jpg
This is the Sea to Summit Ultralight pad

It inflates a way that looks much easier

12e0f236-e048-4a62-8a9f-196a1f6c41f1.jpg

11:54 a.m. on February 13, 2018 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,988 reviewer rep
1,134 forum posts

If you like your current pad, have you tried inflating with the Instaflator or a pack liner trash compactor bag? Couple of relatively recent threads on that. Of course, if you want an excuse to buy a new pad I totally get that!

12:03 p.m. on February 13, 2018 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,952 reviewer rep
288 forum posts

What kind of pad do you have now? You don't necessarily need a new pad just to get that inflation doohickey. That S2S system is the same thing as the Instaflator, which I use to inflate my NeoAir XLite, can be attached to most air pad valves. Definitely works well. Unfortunately the Instaflator isn't sold anymore, but you can easily make one out of a thin plastic bag and a few inches of tubing.

9:28 p.m. on February 13, 2018 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,290 forum posts

No, actually I don't like the pad I have a Therm-a- Rest air pad, it does not stay under me all night when I sleep. I turn over may times and it has long tubes running top to bottom. I wake up too many mornings completely off it and it also just is not comfortable.

I used a Ensolite pad for the first 27 years of backpacking, then in the late 90's a friend gave me a self inflating original Therm-a-rest and I got used to the comfort of air, then I replaced it with a Big Agnes pad, then got the one I want to replace. 

In my older age I now find it more difficult to sleep on anything without air inside. 

6:18 a.m. on February 14, 2018 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,988 reviewer rep
1,134 forum posts

Enjoy the new pad Gary...nothing beats a good nights sleep in the backcountry!

8:57 a.m. on February 16, 2018 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hi Gary,

I have several sleeping pads.  This one aquirred last summer.  Used it for a couple of month tour of south america.  You can reaad about it on my blog...but it's mostly about travel and not specfic to camping..."thefurtheradventuresofthebumblingtouristo"

Most of the time it was used on top of a bad hostel mattress to level it out and make it comfy.  Also good for an emergency bed for those airport floors. Very good for that.  Did use it camping on the beach in Chile one night about 50 degrees.  The low R value can be suplemented with a piece of cardboard.  Be aware of this low insulation value. 

While the pad is easy to inflate and very comfy for the thickness, I would be nervous about it's thin construction and don't think I would take it into the bush as my only one without a good repair kit.

Happy Camping,

Kevin

August 16, 2018
Quick Reply