TNF Ve 25 4 season tent questions.

1:28 p.m. on February 14, 2018 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
437 forum posts

Yesterday I bought a new TNF VE 25 4 season tent.

I am wondering if the white camo / green camo fly can fit, from a used off e bay or gear trades one comes along used. The VE 25 is a 3 persons size and the North Face ECWS Military 4 Season Tent is said to be 4 persons size.

Also would the fly from Eureka ECWS ECWT Extreme Cold Weather Tent stand any chance to fit? 

8:01 p.m. on February 14, 2018 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,397 forum posts

The VE25 has been in production since the Early 1980's with a number of revisions along the way, 4 or 5 if I'm correct.  I'm not sure if the older fly's will fit on the newer tents.  If it is a newer fly the probability of it fitting is good but not assured, so I would try and asses the age of the fly and then call TNF directly to ask them what they think, or just take the chance and get the fly if there are not a whole bunch of them available.  You can always sell it later on Ebay.

As far as the ECWT's fly made by TNF and then Eureka, no..........neither fly will ever be a good fit for the VE25.  Tents that will fit under the ECWT fly, are.........of course the TNF & Eureka ECWT tent bodies, the North Star and the all yellow version of the civilian version of the TNF  ECWT that apparently was a limited run production by TNF who's name still alludes me even after a decade of investigation.  One might, just find a reasonable fit with the fly using a TNF Bastion 4 tent but one would have to look at the door placement vs. the placement of the vestibule(s).

6:19 p.m. on February 15, 2018 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
2,750 reviewer rep
1,638 forum posts

Apeman is correct, 100% the military version fly will not fit. As to your other questions, you would be best contacting TNF as already mentioned or just trying it.

Just out of curiosity, why are you trying to use a fly from a different tent with your VE25?

7:16 p.m. on February 15, 2018 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
437 forum posts

After I asked my question, I discovered the Mil versions are larger over all, not that one in good enough shape couldn't be sewn smaller and have velcro tabs added for where the VE 25 poles go.

I just received this tent NEW today, and there are 8 velcro tabs on the underside of the rain fly mostly for use with just the fly and foot print, which I also bought NEW .

I just not that much of a bright yellow guy, and like to lay low to the ground in my NH White Mts forest be it on snow or the other 3 seasons.

At my age if I need to be rescued I am not gong to be happy about it a bit ! I am more like Old Hatchet Jack ;)

It may be of interest that my New VE 25 did NOT come with a spider swatter out of the box, but I sure did need one. 

The first big spider was just there looking up at me when I opened the box on my bed. That other one was hiding in the top left vent facing the tent set up ! I was checking to see if you could open the top vents from the inside when it fell into my face. My wife hours later is still smirking and chucking at each glance she makes my way too. My reputation has suffered, and I may need the services of a lawyer ! 

4:41 p.m. on February 16, 2018 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
2,750 reviewer rep
1,638 forum posts

It kind of makes me chuckle that you bought a bright yellow tent when you don't like bright yellow. I had a mountain 25 for a few years, and while i didn't overly enjoy the brightness, it was kinda nice on winter days when you are spending more time in your shelter.

11:15 p.m. on February 17, 2018 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,221 forum posts

Lodge Pole!  What happened, did you get lost?  Been years since we last heard from you.  Glad to hear from you again.

Ed

7:17 p.m. on February 19, 2018 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
437 forum posts

I think I was gone from here 4 years. But i wasn't gone. ;)

I wasn't in jail either ! LOL

7:22 p.m. on February 19, 2018 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
437 forum posts

TheRambler, Yeah I like yellow inside a tent pretty well for day light. That blue light is just nasty. Green is no better. over all i would like 3 rain covers, but i almost never get what I like.

White for in the woods in winter, camo for in the woods in not winter, and yellow for at and around tree line in winter so I can find my own tent :)

Twice now on a summer evening wearing white shirts and so thought guys with flashlights could see me I have suffered crashes. So evidently I don't need camo, but that doesn't mean i don't want it. :)

7:22 p.m. on February 19, 2018 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
437 forum posts

i sort of forget how this place works....

7:00 a.m. on February 22, 2018 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,336 forum posts

I have had both the original VE24 in 1980 when I spent 5 months winter camping the high Sierra around Yosemite and the newer VE25. The 24 only had one door, the 25 had two. Very roomy tent, great for when the weather keeps you inside.

The bright yellow, I called it gold, is nice for visibility in winter but still gets lost in a white out. Inside it gives you a sun tanned look and filters everything in yellow.

It is a heavy tent, but worth the weight for camping in diverse weather and sharing with others. I shared mine on a Glacier Point hike with two Englishmen that fateful winter of Jan-May 1980.

I say fateful as we had a 3 day weather report saying clear skies, but on the second day when we arrived it started snowing hard and we had to stay two extra nights. being we had permits on the sixth day a NPS helicopter landed nearby and "rescued" us. We had only carried enough food for four days. We had to leave the tent and gear behind and were flown down to Yosemite Valley and given medical treatment for hypothermia. My body temp had lowered to 93 degrees and was told one more night may have cause my body to shut down.

Good luck with your new tent. My VE24 lasted for 27 years till a bear in the Gros Ventre  (grow vont) Mountains of NW Wyoming tore it apart.

March 18, 2019
Quick Reply