Help choosing between two tents

1:32 p.m. on February 18, 2018 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I am getting back into backpacking after several decades of zeros.

I could use some help selecting a tent. I have it currently narrowed down to two tents in my price range. I have no allusions of being an ultra-light backpacker (will be carrying too much camera gear), but weight is still somewhat of a concern. These tents are within a pound of each other, and both have features I like and dislike.

Hopefully someone has had experience with these two tents (or two manufacturers) and can give me some guidance. I am trying to do as much research as possible before I buy so I only buy once (learned after the first outing I don't want to be a hammock camper).

My current choices:

Sierra Design Clip Flashlight 2

I like that it has the vestibule that converts to an awning with trekking poles, and that it is a pound lighter than the other.

What I don't like is lack of ventilation when the fly is on. I live in AR and it gets hot and muggy in the summer so ventilation will be a benefit.

Kelty TN2

I like that it has two doors on the sides, and two vestibules. The star gazer fly is a major bonus. Should allow plenty of ventilation in the summer.

What I don't like is the weight. It is heaver than the SD and comes in at 4 pounds 13 ounces compared to the SD at 3 pounds 14 ounces.

What are your thoughts?

2:50 p.m. on February 18, 2018 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,025 forum posts

I have had both the original Flashlight and the Clip Flashlight. The original (with the fly) did not have a vestibule. But with the Clip, it is easy to get ventilation by positioning the vestibule's opening. The Clip's weight is a bit more than the original Flashlight.

I don't use the Clip very often anymore, having gone to a Bibler - lighter, better made, although more expensive. Black Diamond has dropped the Bibler name, but still makes the same tents as the whole Bibler name, just with a BD name. OTOH the ultralight tents are so much lighter with much better ventilation and plenty of room. My Zrest is only 24 ounces with the carbon poles. check my review at

https://www.trailspace.com/gear/zpacks/triplex/?review=32971  Yeah, I know, it's very pricey. But the weight, ventilation, roominess, more than make up for the cost.

5:08 p.m. on February 18, 2018 (EST)
1,967 reviewer rep
351 forum posts

Weight is always a concern. Even if your pack isn't UL overall, you can apply UL principles and use UL gear wherever you can, and it will benefit you back and your knees but probably not your wallet. Zpacks, Tarptent, Mountain Laurel Designs, Six Moon Designs, Lightheart Gear, Gossamer Gear, and others are worth checking out. Consider shelters supported by trekking poles to save weight on tent poles.

Personally I feel the two you have narrowed your selection down to come with too many compromises for my tastes -- the SD's head entrance and the Kelty's weight.

9:51 p.m. on February 18, 2018 (EST)
929 reviewer rep
635 forum posts

Are you looking for a solo tent?

My choice is the Tarptent Moment DW. Light, wind-worthy and absolutely fast seeing up. (Hence the name, Moment.)

The TT Notch is its pole-supported brother for a bit less weight IF you use hiking poles.

The TT Scarp 1 is a bit larger (and heavier)

All of the above are solo tents with 2 vestibules and have that great Tarptent quality.

Eric b.

10:03 a.m. on February 19, 2018 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,636 forum posts

I have carried a similar Sierra Designs tent for almost 30 years, but now I mostly use a tarptent supported by treking poles. It is made by Mountainsmith. 

10:03 a.m. on February 19, 2018 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,636 forum posts

I have carried a similar Sierra Designs tent for almost 30 years, but now I mostly use a tarptent supported by treking poles. It is made by Mountainsmith.  Recently I met up with some new people on a backpacking trip that were older trad people.  They thought I was day hiking because my pack was so much smaller than theirs. 

If  was going to carry a lot of camera equipment I would go lighter on everything else. 

1:28 p.m. on February 19, 2018 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

300winmag said:

Are you looking for a solo tent?

My choice is the Tarptent Moment DW. Light, wind-worthy and absolutely fast seeing up. (Hence the name, Moment.)

The TT Notch is its pole-supported brother for a bit less weight IF you use hiking poles.

The TT Scarp 1 is a bit larger (and heavier)

All of the above are solo tents with 2 vestibules and have that great Tarptent quality.

Eric b.

I am looking for a 2P tent. I plan on doing trips in all types of weather, and this way I would have room to move around when it was raining its butt off.

1:29 p.m. on February 19, 2018 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

ppine said:

I have carried a similar Sierra Designs tent for almost 30 years, but now I mostly use a tarptent supported by treking poles. It is made by Mountainsmith.  Recently I met up with some new people on a backpacking trip that were older trad people.  They thought I was day hiking because my pack was so much smaller than theirs. 

If  was going to carry a lot of camera equipment I would go lighter on everything else. 

I haven't heard about Mountiansmith so I'll go see what they offer.

2:33 p.m. on February 19, 2018 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,454 reviewer rep
1,334 forum posts

For a roomy tent for extended rain try looking at this version of tarptent https://www.trailspace.com/gear/tarptent/stratospire-1/#review38522

2 giant vestibules give you room for a wet porch and a kitchen porch (in non bear country). I just spent 3 days...2 nights...in steady rain , wind gusts up to 30 mph, and temps in the 20-30 range. Couldn't have been happier.  It does need trekking poles and takes some practice getting the pitch right.

2:52 p.m. on February 20, 2018 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Thanks. I'll check it out

4:44 p.m. on February 21, 2018 (EST)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
369 forum posts

As for pitching the SS1 or SS2 , take a look at how I do it as well as the way it is done by TT.

This is my way :

5:11 p.m. on February 21, 2018 (EST)
929 reviewer rep
635 forum posts

OOPS!

I forgot about the roomy 1 person Stratospire. Ducedly clever design and meets your criterion.

Eric B.

February 19, 2019
Quick Reply