Looking for containers made from hemp and other petroleum-free products

2:57 p.m. on March 30, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Does anyone have suggestions for where to purchase small containers made out of hemp? I have homemade body products and need to carry just small amounts but don't want to put them metal for weight nor plastic because I avoid it like the plague! How about suggestions for camp shoes that aren't made of petroleum but still do OK in the rain? Any suggestions for other petroleum-free camping products you love would be much appreciated! Doing my best to be a full-circle camper, using gear that doesn't pollute when produced nor when used. 

Also would really appreciate suggestions on ways to get the word out about a Wilderness Volunteer trail work trip in Alaska that still has space. It's in Kenai National Wildlife Refuge, week of July 22-18. 

Ciao ciao,

Elli

3:06 p.m. on March 31, 2018 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,444 forum posts

Better than buying new, non-petro items is buying used articles - the petro is already consumed, so you are adding to the footprint,and unless your hemp products are produced off the grid even they require petro to assemble of transport, while the second hand items are already in your neighborhood.  Just a thought.

Ed

7:35 p.m. on April 2, 2018 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,444 forum posts

whomeworry said:

Better than buying new, non-petro items is buying used articles - the petro is already consumed, so you are adding to the footprint,and unless your hemp products are produced off the grid even they require petro to assemble of transport, while the second hand items are already in your neighborhood.  Just a thought.

Ed

Typo in my post - S/B: the petro is already consumed, so you are NOT adding to the footprint.

Ed

12:22 a.m. on April 3, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
7,015 reviewer rep
2,282 forum posts

www.hempplastic.com

https://www.sanapackaging.com (find out for whom they are manufacturing products)

check Alibaba, a series of small plant-based containers, offered for purchase in quantity - again, find out who is buying them. 

8:24 a.m. on April 3, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Thank you whomeworry for the suggestion. (I figured you meant not adding!) It's a good idea. I so reuse and buy used when possible. I also like to encourage, with my dollars, new businesses that are creating more eco conscious products. 

Interestinc that Andrew mentions Alibaba as it was the only place I found that offers some but two issues with them. 1) Just as Ed mentioned, those are coming from China so huge footprint & 2) Mostly, since they are coming direcrly from China, the products are sold in the hundreds. I only need 3-4!!

i find it difficult to believe I am the only consumer wanting to purchase hemp containers. I've been ahead of the curve in the past so maybe in time they'll be more available. In the meantime, I'll keep searching and use old items for some products. Others, I just don't want my food in petroleum and the beeswax wrap dosen't cut it for liquids. 

Thanks so so much for the replies!

9:24 p.m. on April 7, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Found out a set of metal containers is .24lb for the entire set. Might add them to my gear until I can find hemp. The beauty of hemp is it's not simply nondestructive, it actually adds benefits to the soil, whereas metal has to be mined. They are on life without plastic website, metal travel jar kit, 5-poece set. 

December 15, 2019
Quick Reply