Ultralight Camp Shoes

12:21 p.m. on April 6, 2018 (EDT)
470 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

Looking for:

-ultralight (aiming for well under a pound PER PAIR)

-close toed

-breathable

For:

-camp (letting the feet breathe)

-gathering water (sometimes it can be a hike)

-crossing water (rivers & streams)

Crocks weigh about a pound per pair, which would put them near the top of my heaviest gear list, so I'd like other options.  I'd like to keep the toes covered so I don't get stabbed by a stick while gathering water or letting my feet breathe.  

Vivobarefoot Ultra look like they might fit the bill, but I can't find a consistent weight anywhere, or if the weights are per pair or per shoe.

Does anybody have any additional info, or other possible options?

Thanks!

2:24 p.m. on April 6, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,569 reviewer rep
1,335 forum posts

I know some folks use ultralight running shoes (different from trail runners) as one option.  I have waffled back and forth on taking an extra pair or just slipping on my boots and tucking the laces inside.  The latter is what I do a lot since I spend much time in my tent.  If the boots are likely to get soaking wet and cold I sometimes take a camp shoe.  So far I am a traditionalist and carry a 10 oz pair of moccasins...they fit most of your criteria but are not really that breathable.  In wet weather they don't soak up too much moisture if they are treated right.  Here's a recent trip photo - actually meant to be focused on the boots I am testing, but it shows part of my camp shoe as well.  The mocs kept me warm an dry on a wet and snowy trip.

TopofToe.jpg

3:14 p.m. on April 6, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
4,454 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

I use Sockwas G4s, 234 g = 8.3 ounces for my size 11.5 feet. Also not breathable but good for stream crossings and knocking around camp in summer. The X8s look to be more breathable. In the running shoe area, Merrell Vapor Gloves or Bare Access and other "barefoot" shoes are pretty light and don't take up a lot of space.

5:23 p.m. on April 6, 2018 (EDT)
7,931 reviewer rep
1,430 forum posts

Thanks for reminding me I have some water shoes I need to review George :)

My wife got all of us Fitkicks last year and we've found them to be pretty good for water crossings or in camp. They don't dry as fast as I'd hoped and offer little toe protection, but they only weigh 7oz for the XL size.

There, that's the short version of my review! I'll try to post an actual review soon.

5:38 p.m. on April 6, 2018 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,737 forum posts

I like Crocs. I wear them outside in the yard at home and go barefoot in the house a lot. They  are very light, cheap, and waterproof.  They slip on and off unless you use the strap and then they stay on. 

10:59 p.m. on April 6, 2018 (EDT)
470 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/redhead-ragin-water-shoes-for-men

I just found these as another potential option.  I've read that each shoe weighs 4.5 oz.

11:31 p.m. on April 6, 2018 (EDT)
470 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

BigRed -

I have a pair of merrell vapor 2's, but they weigh about a pound per pair & they reek something fierce ever since i got them wet one time.  They smell worse than any other shoe I've ever had.   How are the sockwas?  The X8 looks pretty nice.

4:46 a.m. on April 7, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
612 forum posts

I've used Crocs and liked them.  But I got a pair of lightweight sandals in Europe that I now use. Not closed-toe, but really good in water and my feet love ''em.

11:11 a.m. on April 7, 2018 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,737 forum posts

I went native on a canoe trip once and broke my big toe the first day on a tree root.   I spent a week hobbling around in the bush on portages.  From then on only shoes with a toe box. 

If your shoes smell bad freeze them.  Put em outside or put them in a plastic bag and put them in the freezer in the house. 

1:28 p.m. on April 7, 2018 (EDT)
7,931 reviewer rep
1,430 forum posts

FITKICKS Fitkicks Original Mens

I'm as surprised as anyone, but as promised, there is the review on those shoes. Since you reminded me to finally do this review I'll send you a cut of the Sawyer prize if it wins the package George. :)

Oh and I was off on the weight, sorry. Must have gotten a bad reading when I put them on the scale last time.

May 25, 2019
Quick Reply