DIY Down Quilt tips, tricks and improvements

10:14 p.m. on April 11, 2018 (EDT)
470 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

I've made my own top quilt & underquilt out of Argon (amazing material) and 800-900 fp down, but I'd like my next projects to function better in cooler temps (high winds) , and be all around higher quality through better design.  Are there any learned quilt crafters in the peanut gallery that can pass along some things that improve your quilts & things you've learned to not do?

Underquilt - I've been using 2 lengths of Argon sewn together with no-see-um mesh baffles & quite a bit of overfill, but I still feel a lot of wind through the underquilt when there gets to be around 30-40 mph gusts in 30 degree temps.  I have down coats that the wind doesn't blow through at all in these temps (with sewn through baffles, no spacer material), and the fill feels very similar when compressed & fully lofted.  My baffles are about 8" apart, 3" of loft (1.5" at each baffle) and each quilt weighs 20 oz.

Top quilt - how do you make it stay on you better?  Is 20 oz. too light for a blanket?  My baffles are sewn lengthwise down my body instead of across it.  I figured this would make it shape around me better, but it always seems to be floating & sliding off me anyway.  I'd also like it to fit better around my neck & shoulders. Any ideas?

As always, thanks for any input!

May 22, 2019
Quick Reply