1:35 a.m. on April 12, 2018 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,277 forum posts
8:32 p.m. on April 12, 2018 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
362 forum posts

A bit heavy but should last forever.

I made some crude versions of that years ago. 

The side feeding is much easier than top feed and does create a good airflow. 

having the feeder at an angle should work better and be safer than the typical straight in version.

Those home made can stoves don't last all that long but I only used them to play with. 

12:41 p.m. on April 13, 2018 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,277 forum posts

I used to carry a home made wood stove. I learned it in Boy Scouts 50 years ago.

Take a standard can that soup, veggies or fruit came in. Cut the top completely off, take an old fashioned church key can opener and make 3-4 holes around the sides at the base and the top of the can. Then drop 1-2 charcoal briquttes in.light and set the cook pot on top.

A larger version can be made from the restaurant style #10 cans and a large hole put in the side to ad fuel like wood and twigs. 

maxresdefault-1-.jpg
Soup can stove, the charcoal briquttes don't make a flame like this.

download-2-.jpg
#10 Coffee can wood stove

Once while in an old mining camp in the Sierra I saw a wood stove made from a inverted wash tub, with a hole cut in the bottom to allow the smoke out and the fire to breathe. And a hole cut out of one side to put wood in.

10:30 p.m. on April 13, 2018 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
362 forum posts

I made plenty of those including Bushbuddy look alike.

https://bushbuddystove.com/

I liked the wood gasifying part. 

On the trail I prefer the Caldera Cone and canisters in winter.

11:26 p.m. on April 13, 2018 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,277 forum posts

Being that I winter in southern Arizona where its not as cold, I just use my Pocket Rocket MSR stove with its propane/butane mix which works at most temp above and around freezing. I have not cooked on a open flame wood fire in decades.I use them more for keeping me warm till I go to bed so I can stay up looking at the heavens and listening to night sounds and warming me in the morning. I dig a pit and it insulates the ashes and coals making a morning fire easy as tossing on dry grass and twigs which soon ignite.

8:09 p.m. on April 14, 2018 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
362 forum posts

Where wood is abundant and it is safe to burn, I too have spent many evenings looking at a fire.

I have a potbelly stove in a separate building where I sleep at the moment. It is getting cold here so I light that up and spend some time with the stove door open so that I can look at the flame* and read . 

I grew up using wood burning stoves and open fires . All the houses in the village had them and most still have. 

*We don't just have wood here, at my place, we have too much. 

4:12 p.m. on April 19, 2018 (EDT)
905 reviewer rep
554 forum posts

Hmmm... 

As Franco said, "A bit heavy...". Plus I see no side vents in the inner stove wall. This is where it could become a true gassifier stove and burn much hotter.

If I wanted a stainless steel stove similar to this I'd get the Canadian-made Brush Buddy. Much more efficient.

My Trail Designs Sidewinder and the larger Tri-Ti version are titanium sheet Caldera Cone stoves that will burn alcohol, ESBIT or - with the optional Inferno insert - wood in a gassifier type stove. It is far lighter and far more compact than the stainless steel Kombius stove and it feeds easily.

PLUS, ti Caldera Cone stoves are far more fuel efficient, especially where it counts when using alcohol or ESBIT.

Eric B.

July 19, 2018
Quick Reply