observations from a foul weather day

10:17 a.m. on April 17, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,809 reviewer rep
2,249 forum posts

I didn't have time to hike on Sunday because I was outside watching a field hockey tournament for several hours. nothing like effectively standing still for hours when in windy, rainy, low-40s weather. a few observations:

1. fleece layers top and bottom underneath rain shells worked extremely well. in particular, patagonia's nano air not only kept me warm but also dried out quickly when i got inside. loved that hood too.  

2. fingerless gloves were a mistake.

3. unless i'm doing something very high output, i have been liking wool or wool blend hats more than synthetic recently. on hard wet hikes, i'll go with the synthetic because it's easier to wring them out, put them back on, and stay warm.

4. waterproof breathable pants let in moisture through the butt if you sit on something wet - doesn't matter how new they are, or how well they are treated with DWR. if you have to sit on something wet for any length of time, non-breathable waterproof pants are the way to go.

7:00 p.m. on April 17, 2018 (EDT)
403 reviewer rep
260 forum posts

I like sitting on a piece of Ensolite...outdoors or at outdoor games.

7:07 p.m. on April 17, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
4,989 reviewer rep
1,095 forum posts

In Norway that's called a "sittunderlag", but we just call it a "sittapon", anything from a thin rectangle of closed-cell that folds up z-rest style to a little self-inflater. Essential for lunch-on-snow (or hard rock).

9:36 p.m. on April 17, 2018 (EDT)
403 reviewer rep
260 forum posts

I usually just sit on the piece that I also use in my pack against my back. Pull it out, sit on it, stuff it back in.

4:18 p.m. on April 19, 2018 (EDT)
954 reviewer rep
672 forum posts

My new favorite backpacking "sit pad" i.e. 1/2 of the Thermarest Z-type sit pad.

REI sells it and I cut it in half along the center fold crease B/C I don't need such a large pad. Its egg crate pattern can keep some moisture in the recesses so you aren't putting a lot of pressure on it. Plus the 1/2 size version I use does not stick out to collect rain as much. 

This "half pad" fits behind the trampoline back mesh of my Osprey EXOS 58 very nicely.

Eric B.

6:39 a.m. on April 20, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,809 reviewer rep
2,249 forum posts

I have a sit pad for winter camping, a cut piece of an old ridgerest closed cell pad. I don't usually bring it to watch youth sports in april in maryland. Also, for rain, the bumpy pad collects more water than a flat surface anyway.

September 23, 2019
Quick Reply