milibank bag or badanna

7:54 a.m. on July 6, 2018 (EDT)
485 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

OK another question do you bring a milibank bag or a bandanna as part of your water filtration kit .would a bandanna do just as good of a job?.

9:44 a.m. on July 6, 2018 (EDT)
82 reviewer rep
389 forum posts

I almost always carry a bandanna because it comes in handy in lots of situations, but I don't think I would use it to filter water.

A lot depends on circumstances - if you just need a bit to get back to a better source, just drink up and let your teeth do the straining - that will keep out the bigger bits; a bit of silt won't hurt you for occasional use.  if you want drinkable water, free of biological nasties, bring some sort of metal container and fire,so that you can boil.

And wash your hands.  Improper hygiene is evidently the source of most Giardia cases...

10:25 a.m. on July 6, 2018 (EDT)
1,967 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

You're essentially asking about a pre-filter. Yes, a bandanna can serve that purpose.

2:59 p.m. on July 6, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,454 reviewer rep
1,335 forum posts

I hadn't heard of a Milbank bag so Googled it. It basically does exactly what a bandana or built in pre-filter would do. In the effort to reduce excess weight I would opt for a bandana. I have used one for years like that in the odd occasion that there is some larger stuff in the water source I would like to keep out of my filter. It serves tons of other uses as well that the bag wouldn't.

2:22 p.m. on July 18, 2018 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,336 forum posts

In the Grand Canyon where algae is present I have used a bandanna as a filter to keep the bigger stuff out. But I use a water filter system as well.

As hikermor says, a bandanna is a multi-use item, I carry a few of them.

February 23, 2019
Quick Reply