hammock tarp question

12:47 p.m. on July 6, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,872 reviewer rep
2,078 forum posts

i'm mostly a hammock lounger/reader, but i'm thinking about overnighting and considering how to keep the rain off. i have seen there are a variety of tarp set-ups that cost a bit - 80-140 bucks - and wondering whether anyone uses a simpler and cheaper setup successfully (as in, get a 10x8 woven poly tarp with grommets for 10 bucks, get some lengths of 3mm utility cord for guy lines). I'm using an ENO doublenest. 

1:18 p.m. on July 6, 2018 (EDT)
107 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Andrew haven’t tried that yet but UST Brands makes a very durable hex tarp for about $40 that’s around 9ft long that I use with my ENO double nest. But it’s really not long enough or I’m not doing something right. And it’s almost 2lbs. And they make another one for $30 that’s 8ft 6in

Its my xtra tarp. And very trustworthy but the stuff sack sucks. If I were you , since I believe you said before that your relatively tall, I’d invest in something like the one that came with my Clark Jungle Hammock. I ordered their largest (vertex)at 10ft 6in  x 10ftand it so far 5year? Has been fantastic in every aspect. Great coverage area. But it is just as you said in that range $99 last time I looked

2:06 p.m. on July 6, 2018 (EDT)
5,872 reviewer rep
2,078 forum posts

if 5 foot 9 is tall.....the hammock is about 9 1/2 feet long, so I would probably opt for a 10x8 tarp. I would definitely be sacrificing weight and packability with an inexpensive solution, for sure.  

5:16 p.m. on August 9, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

For a low cost solution keep an eye on woot.com or other sites for the Yukon Outfitters Walkabout Rainfly. It's a diamond shaped tarp that's a breeze to setup and can normally be found for $20 when it's on sale. $40 normal price. I've got two of them and they're great tarps. I bought them so I'd have extra tarps when my kids come out with me, but have used them myself many times. I've got a couple of big hex tarps with doors, but I've found that I really like the simpler tarps. My current favorite is an asym tarp I made using a pattern I found online. 

Good luck.

3:23 a.m. on August 10, 2018 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,679 reviewer rep
722 forum posts
10:06 a.m. on August 10, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

jrenow said:

Andrew...I have heard good things about these:

Good find. That's basically the same tarp as the walkabout without having to try and find it on sale. His setup video at the amazon link is a bit whacky.

10:36 a.m. on August 10, 2018 (EDT)
MEDIA
22 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

I used RipStopbytheRoll and made my own tarp set up. It is great and light weight. I tried a cheap light weight tarp from Wal-Mart before and it just wasn't big enough. The one I made is basically a 4 season tarp and is large enough to be used as a floorless tent if need be. 

5:45 p.m. on August 10, 2018 (EDT)
5,872 reviewer rep
2,078 forum posts

nice price~!

7:04 p.m. on August 10, 2018 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,679 reviewer rep
722 forum posts

For $20 it gets you good coverage for a few bucks more than you would spend for something disposable. The fact that is poly means it absorbs less water + less saggy + less stretchy...more sun friendly too...but over a hammock that doesn't usually mean much because of tree cover.

8:36 a.m. on August 12, 2018 (EDT)
6,871 reviewer rep
1,308 forum posts

I invested in a couple of nice tarps that have proven to be worth the money, but only after testing with cheaper options to be sure I'd use them.

I used the generic, cheap, blue, plastic tarps for initial testing when I was deciding whether hammocks would work for me. Did the same this Summer for my daughter as she has started trying hammocks out. They won't last long before they get holes due to friction in the pack, but work well for a few nights. She survived an all night downpour under one in June.

Another cheap, but functional option, is the window film tarp. You'll often see it described as polycro. Being from the NE you probably know what I'm talking about. I made a tarp using a large piece and a roll of Gorilla tape. Tape goes around the edge and is used to make tie outs. Washer inside the tape acts as a grommet. This was very functional, but the clear nature of it meant you get no privacy when camping with others. Very light though!

August 18, 2018
Quick Reply