What is the best way to keep Bear's and rodents from your Tent and Backpack/Panniers?

2:04 p.m. on July 11, 2018 (EDT)
7 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

What is the best way to keep Bear's and rodents from your Tent and Backpack/Bicycle Panniers?

Feedback is helpful and Appreciated.

This what I am going to put it on my Surly LHT 26in 52cm 2008 Touring Bicycle.

or when I go Backpacking

I don't think that I am going to hang my food?

This What I have found over this weekend Outsak ul kits. a backpacking food storage system is what I have to buy. And This is what I am looking at for the Pacific Coast Bicycle Route or my Bicycle Touring Trip in the Pocono Mountains in Pennsylvania has Black Bears and North West of New Jersey has Black Bears like California also has Black Bears and Oregon Coast has Black Bears
Outsak ul kits. a backpacking food storage system https://youtu.be/1SUeQ6EHyWU

Outsak ul kits. a backpacking food storage system  http://www.simpleoutdoorstore.com/outsak_kits.html 

2:32 a.m. on July 12, 2018 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,018 forum posts

The only food storage systems that are scent proof employee a factory seal (i.e. cans, boil bags, etc.  Just because we can't smell food doesn't mean critters can't.  If there were such technology, you can bet contraband smugglers would use it transporting their booty past customs and their drug sniffing dogs.

Otherwise, Outsak should keep rodents and other small animals at bay, but raccoons and dogs may still be able to damage your food through the mesh, albeit fail to rip it open.  Bears will make short work of wire mesh, however.  The same goes for simular soft sack storage systems.

Bear canisters are still the most practical, lightweight, affordable, bear proof storage system.

Ed

4:35 p.m. on July 12, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,777 reviewer rep
2,060 forum posts

hanging can work; bear canisters are a more secure and easy solution.

9:59 a.m. on July 14, 2018 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
8,752 reviewer rep
428 forum posts

+1 on the bear can. You will also be able to keep your food store exterior of your panniers for extra room, since it is waterproof. I personally love using my BearVault BV500 when I'm required to use canisters on the trail... Otherwise, I always hang.

July 18, 2018
Quick Reply