What is the best way to keep Bear's and rodents from your Tent and Backpack/Panniers?

2:04 p.m. on July 11, 2018 (EDT)
7 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

What is the best way to keep Bear's and rodents from your Tent and Backpack/Bicycle Panniers?

Feedback is helpful and Appreciated.

This what I am going to put it on my Surly LHT 26in 52cm 2008 Touring Bicycle.

or when I go Backpacking

I don't think that I am going to hang my food?

This What I have found over this weekend Outsak ul kits. a backpacking food storage system is what I have to buy. And This is what I am looking at for the Pacific Coast Bicycle Route or my Bicycle Touring Trip in the Pocono Mountains in Pennsylvania has Black Bears and North West of New Jersey has Black Bears like California also has Black Bears and Oregon Coast has Black Bears
Outsak ul kits. a backpacking food storage system https://youtu.be/1SUeQ6EHyWU

Outsak ul kits. a backpacking food storage system  http://www.simpleoutdoorstore.com/outsak_kits.html 

2:32 a.m. on July 12, 2018 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,124 forum posts

The only food storage systems that are scent proof employee a factory seal (i.e. cans, boil bags, etc.  Just because we can't smell food doesn't mean critters can't.  If there were such technology, you can bet contraband smugglers would use it transporting their booty past customs and their drug sniffing dogs.

Otherwise, Outsak should keep rodents and other small animals at bay, but raccoons and dogs may still be able to damage your food through the mesh, albeit fail to rip it open.  Bears will make short work of wire mesh, however.  The same goes for simular soft sack storage systems.

Bear canisters are still the most practical, lightweight, affordable, bear proof storage system.

Ed

4:35 p.m. on July 12, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,937 reviewer rep
2,101 forum posts

hanging can work; bear canisters are a more secure and easy solution.

9:59 a.m. on July 14, 2018 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
9,055 reviewer rep
437 forum posts

+1 on the bear can. You will also be able to keep your food store exterior of your panniers for extra room, since it is waterproof. I personally love using my BearVault BV500 when I'm required to use canisters on the trail... Otherwise, I always hang.

12:48 a.m. on July 20, 2018 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
3,507 forum posts

I always hang food when there are trees around.  I have never used a bear can but people seem to like them.  I am just getting my pack down to a reasonable size and do not want to start adding items like a  big ol can. 

9:05 a.m. on July 20, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,304 reviewer rep
1,284 forum posts

I'm using bear canisters more often now as I have reduced pack weight enough I can justify it. The primary reason is I tend to camp in open treeless areas when possible so hanging is less practical. Plus it's less hassle and I have a camp stool. I do try to avoid taking it on longer trips if not required...willing to put up with the extra weight for a few days but not weeks.

10:23 a.m. on July 20, 2018 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,314 forum posts

Hanging your food is the best way to keep it safe from animals. Ursacks may keep them from actually eating it, but not from keeping them from smelling and getting used to looking for human food instead of their own. Most animals that get used to getting into human food, end up being destroyed when they have lost their fear of us. 

10:34 a.m. on July 20, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
566 forum posts

Many national parks have come to a different conclusion.  Hanging your food does not protect it from smaller animals like raccoons, mice, etc.  And as noted, animals can smell your food through just about any container.  Rodents and their tiny teeth  have been known to chew through an Ursack.

The approved system in most national parks in the West is a bear can.  While they weigh more than a sack, they also protect against all animals, not just bears.  They work even where there are no trees.  And frankly, the third time you pull down your food sack out of a tree because you forgot to brush your teeth before you strung it up is about the time you start thinking that a bear can is actually easier.   

9:24 p.m. on July 20, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,967 reviewer rep
337 forum posts

balzaccom said:

the third time you pull down your food sack out of a tree because you forgot to brush your teeth before you strung it up is about the time you start thinking that a bear can is actually easier.   

Amen.

12:49 a.m. on July 21, 2018 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,314 forum posts

Just saw this on Youtube and thought of this question, pretty hardcore for camping, most parks would not like people doing this I don't think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuUdXTIWP0k

12:54 a.m. on July 21, 2018 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,314 forum posts

BTW I actually was once camping in the mountains in NW Wyoming and had a young Grizzly tear into my tent, looking for food I guess, while I was off on a day hike. After I re-set my tent and slept the night, it came back at dawn and almost walked into my tent, I was awake and saw it approach and scared it off. When it ran it went in the same direction that much of my things it had hauled away the day before had been strewn.

I had not food in the tent, but the tent was 27 years old, so it may have gathered a few smells in the fabric which attracted the bear. 

1:29 a.m. on July 21, 2018 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

My only experience with bears and critters was I went backpacking with my sons and friends.  We had a great trip and after dinner we put our foods in our sleeping bag sacks and hung them in a tree.  Late that night we heard marmots and other little creatures running around the camp area.  As I was about to fall asleep, I hear a "rip" type sound!  I wondered that sound was?  The next morning we discovered that marmots or something else had ripped open a seam on my oldest son's backpack!  Scattered among the items in the backpack was a container of deodorant!  (I sewed the backpack a day after we got home.)

5:37 p.m. on August 30, 2018 (EDT)
34 reviewer rep
49 forum posts

The best way is to not have anything that critters might want. This is not necessarily conducive to enjoying your time in the backcountry, however.

The second best way is to keep a fire and a watch to deter them. Unless you have a group large enough to take several shifts overnight, this isn't practical, either.

The third best way is to keep your stuff in an airtight container(s) away from your camp where it would be difficult to reach (i.e., suspended from a branch) This, of course, is not always practical or convenient, but it is more practical and convenient than the other two ideas. :D

November 20, 2018
Quick Reply