Zippered pouch for hip belt

7:42 a.m. on August 3, 2018 (EDT)
24 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Doing some last minute gear purchases for my solo hike in Alaska in 3 weeks.

Since i'll have my cellphone with me to travel there, i'll be carrying it with me since i'll have to no place to leave.  So i'm going to be using it for photos/videos anyways.  However, my Osprey Aether 85 pack has ZERO storage options on the hip belt.  Just a plain, empty hip belt.

So i'm looking for a small lightweight zippered pouch that can be mounted to the tension straps on my hip belt.  

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Matt

10:30 a.m. on August 3, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,569 reviewer rep
1,335 forum posts

Granite Gear has shoulder and belt pocket accessories. I haven't used either one but it's a reputable brand.

12:30 p.m. on August 3, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,684 reviewer rep
2,177 forum posts

mystery ranch makes a series of accessories. I have the flip top box, use it for camera & cell phone if the water bottle pockets are occupied. they mount securely and last, basically, forever.

https://www.mysteryranch.com/Accessories/Mountain-Accessories  

1:47 p.m. on August 3, 2018 (EDT)
24 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Ending up buying a should and hipbelt pouch from Gossamer Gear.

https://www.gossamergear.com/

I'll do a review after i get them and use them.

5:40 p.m. on August 3, 2018 (EDT)
1,977 reviewer rep
361 forum posts

I had wanted to add a hip belt to my REI Flash 18 backpack, which has only a strap for a hipbelt. I wanted not only functionality but light weight, and at the best price point. I came down on the Gossamer Gear hipbelt like you, and I'm happy with it. I had to modify a bit to work with just a thin strap, but it's good quality, very light, decent price, and has ample volume for my P&S camera and a snack to keep at my fingertips. Good choice.

12:03 a.m. on August 15, 2018 (EDT)
954 reviewer rep
655 forum posts

I put a very nice REI padded hip belt on a Camelbak hunting pack after first adding an internal frame of contoured 1" aluminum strips bolted to the wimpy "frame sheet". NOW I can carry up to 60 lbs. in that pack when I need to pack out boned deer or elk quarters.

I added REI side pockets to it to bring the volume up to 5 liters.

Eric B.

BTW, CONDOR makes many types of pouches for military use that work well on packs if you don't mind the weight of Cordura fabric. I can attest that their quality is excellent from using some of their pouches on web gear for tactical use.

9:46 p.m. on August 19, 2018 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,724 forum posts

Or you can make one.  The ULA packs have outstanding belt pouches on both sides. They are very handy and a good design. 

May 20, 2019
Quick Reply