Is this the future of backpacking?

4:26 a.m. on August 19, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,304 reviewer rep
1,114 forum posts

Meet the HoverGlide backpack:

https://www.hot-newtech.com/hoverglide/

The is already taken, for a hydrofoil wakeboard that seems to have been around for a few years. Somebody didn't do their homework. Any suggestions for a new name? "Spineless"?

Not on the market yet, and I don't see weights for any of the models.

Be the first one on your block...

4:49 a.m. on August 19, 2018 (EDT)
5,304 reviewer rep
1,114 forum posts

PS: The announced release date is September 5, but it looks like the idea dates back to 2006, when there was a lot of press coverage, linked to on the company web page , most recent update seems to be 2016, same for the page that I linked to above.

They also make electricity-generating packs, putatively for military use.

I haven't been able to find the promised Kickstarter campaign, but maybe it's over. But there is a recent mention on a website called Gearcaster which is maybe how it turned up on my FB feed. At any rate, still on the ever-receding horizon.

Me? I'm just curious -- and healthily skeptical.

5:53 a.m. on August 19, 2018 (EDT)
8,824 reviewer rep
1,490 forum posts

This showed up a few weeks ago on a Canadian hiking FB group I'm a member of. Made me giggle!

11:29 a.m. on August 19, 2018 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,994 forum posts

Some people embrace tech quickly.  Over time it is easy to predict that this will become mainstream.  I remember when waist belts were the big new thing. 

11:37 a.m. on August 19, 2018 (EDT)
2,017 reviewer rep
393 forum posts

Another reason to go ultralight, so that your pack isn't so heavy that you need shock absorbers built into it. 

9:53 p.m. on August 19, 2018 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,437 forum posts

One more thing to breakdown and become useless payload.

Ed

1:37 a.m. on August 20, 2018 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
44 forum posts

I'M OLD FASHIONED but, this can be the future of backpacking for those who want it! I love my old back, it has served me very well and, I have never felt the need to get another backpack. If life changes and, my backpack doesn't seem work as well, I might consider it when looking for another backpack. Because it is there doesn't force to consider it.

P.S. I also drove an old VW Bus for many years because it was low on maintainance, great mileage. It was noisier than newer cars but, it was great to drive from Silicon Valley deep into the Sierra Nevada Mountains with seven other backpackers and, all their gear!

9:03 a.m. on August 20, 2018 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,994 forum posts

Old VW buses were never low maintenance.  Owning one was a hobby.  

Lighter packs may make this idea obsolete. 

2:43 p.m. on August 20, 2018 (EDT)
273 reviewer rep
1,949 forum posts

Saw this on social media awhile ago.Not something I would purchase.I have to admit its interesting but I am like ED,,,I see so many things breaking down and I really like to feel my pack to my back...Do any of you think it would be strange to not feel the contour of the weight and load to your back?

3:09 p.m. on August 20, 2018 (EDT)
8,824 reviewer rep
1,490 forum posts

A shifting center of gravity would certainly make things more interesting. Now add in 40mph quartering gusts and some talus. It could be a new Olympic sport ;)

4:56 p.m. on August 20, 2018 (EDT)
6,985 reviewer rep
2,277 forum posts

i somehow expected to see a hiker, floating face down in a stream, with the backpack bobbing along. i know, dark sense of humor.

that backpack was clearly stuffed with sleeping bags, no way he's running like that with 40+ pounds. plus, i could see hopping off a rock and getting knocked off balance when the suspension bottoms out.

i would still agree to test it!

11:20 p.m. on August 20, 2018 (EDT)
1,024 reviewer rep
682 forum posts

Then again some of us want PACK STABILITY. 

And how much weight does this bouncy "glide system" add to a pair of aluminum stays?

Eric B.

1:29 a.m. on August 21, 2018 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,437 forum posts

ppine said:

Old VW buses were never low maintenance.  Owning one was a hobby.  

Perhaps inexpensive to maintain if DIY, but I agree I can't call frequent valve gap adjustments and getting my hands burned every time the procedure was performed "low maintenance".

Ed

2:22 p.m. on August 21, 2018 (EDT)
5,304 reviewer rep
1,114 forum posts

leadbelly2550 said:

i would still agree to test it!

Alicia, how 'bout you try to score us one of each model?

Wonder how much they'll cost?

December 6, 2019
Quick Reply