Blisters

12:14 a.m. on August 24, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Recently climbed up Mt Adams .boots gave me heel blister on the way up and outer toe blisters on the way down  is this due to my boots being too small?  Should I size up a 1/2 size?

3:31 a.m. on August 24, 2018 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,210 forum posts

Are these new boots, were they wet, how often do you hike this kind of terrain, have you experienced prior blister issues?

But I doubt your boots are too small.  Boots that are too narrow or laced too tight cause aching feet feet from restricted blood flow.  Short  boots cause black toe nails. 

Heel blisters usually are boots too big in the heel area.  Sometime thicker socks, a second sock, heel orthodics or a combination thereof will resolve the issue.  Toe blisters are somewhat more difficult to address - it could be a sock seam in the wrong place, a need for a corrective foot bed orthodics, second sock, etc.

Ed   

7:49 a.m. on August 24, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
7,883 reviewer rep
1,416 forum posts

Unless you are feeling cramped in the boots when standing on flat ground I'd say you don't need a smaller boot. To check the fit, sit down and pound the heels before tying the laces, tie em well and then kick the toe into something. If you feel your toe hit the front without feeling your heel slide forward the boots are too small. If you can wiggle your toes after kicking then you are probably in the right size.

From your description I'm thinking you may want to try a thicker sock and making sure the boot is tied to your foot well. The heel blister is likely from lifting...the back of the foot coming up but leaving the boot behind so it rubs on every step. The toe blisters are from toe jamming as your foot slides forward on the downhill sections. A thicker sock combined with good lacing/tying should force the boot to move with your feet and eliminate the friction.

If you aren't already, you may want to consider using a liner. Using two layers of sock works really well for some folks with blister issues. It tends to keep any friction between the two layers as well as helping with moisture control.

Oh, and welcome to Trailspace Bryan! Always nice to see a new face :)

2:15 p.m. on August 24, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks for the imput .They are new boots and i though iihad them broken .I haven't had this bad of a problem with blisters. The  boots are European size and I was reading that they can run a little small .I used a liner sock and mediun wool socks. After my blisters heal I will put the boots back on, lace them well and re-evaluate. 

2:47 p.m. on August 24, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
7,883 reviewer rep
1,416 forum posts

Oh, that changes things then. Heel lifting is a definite problem with boots that aren't quite broken in. They can feel just fine on easier trails and then when you try an actual climb you find out they aren't quite ready. Working on breaking in a new pair right now myself so I feel your pain :)

10:54 a.m. on August 25, 2018 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,630 forum posts

My feet used to get beat up.  Adding a thin pair of sock liners really helps under the thick wool ones.  This trip I used a pair of dress socks and they worked fine. 

9:41 p.m. on August 25, 2018 (EDT)
1,967 reviewer rep
350 forum posts

+1 to sock liners, and/or leukotape. Neither fixes any problems with footwear the wrong size or not broken in, but they do minimize the friction to the skin layer that causes blisters.

February 16, 2019
Quick Reply