The Comprehensive Outdoor Gear List

1:54 a.m. on September 6, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

It is a good written article on what to carry when outdoors, if you guys are planning a trip, it shall help you a lot, read and enjoy [link deleted]

6:08 a.m. on September 6, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,842 reviewer rep
1,491 forum posts

Unless I am planning for the apocalypse most of the items on that list don't seem appropriate for recreational backpacking.

10:12 a.m. on September 6, 2018 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,047 forum posts

The only people that think about equipment more than backpackers are suvivalists like the author of this piece.  I used to be active on a survivalists forum.  The typical story is that after years of thinking about equipment, someone finally puts it all in a huge pack that weighs 75 pounds and goes out for the weekend. They have a great time, but only go half as far as they planned and wreck a knee from all the weight.  As a group survivalists, tend to be very conservative.  Many of them are obsessed with firearms. 

10:39 a.m. on September 6, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
9,143 reviewer rep
1,529 forum posts

I'm sure they are nice folks, but I really wish survivalists wouldn't practice shelter building on public lands. Most destroy living vegetation to build these things and many leave them up when they go home. Some I've found were left equipped with plastic tarps that were slowly rotting under piles of collapsed branches. Make a mess in your own back yard if you want, but mucking up the woods is wrong.

As for giant equipment lists? If you're going to survive you have to be able to move fast. Learn to live with as little as possible and I think you'll have a better shot.

10:49 a.m. on September 6, 2018 (EDT)
82 reviewer rep
487 forum posts

This "good written article" is a bad joke.  It says nothing about navigation (compass? Map? - who needs those?), first aid equipment or training, or proper clothing and foot gear.  Like many other attempts, it doesn't even approach what you might need if you are venturing into more rugged terrain that might present obstacles to movement.

I lurk on a couple of survivalist forums.  They typically have a very distorted view of life in the woods, like ppine says, very heavy on firearms and ammo.

11:59 a.m. on September 6, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,842 reviewer rep
1,491 forum posts

At least they'll be ready when the zombies show up...not sure how I will deal with that with a couple of trekking poles and a 2 oz knife!

12:47 p.m. on September 6, 2018 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,747 reviewer rep
743 forum posts

My absolute favorites are hammer and nails...though the zap-stick is a strong runner-up!

I'll second the need for including first-aid + navigation + clothing...if for no other reason than I am curious what the author would suggest.

Phil...you'll be alright...as you will move a lot faster under a lighter pack :-)

I'm going to get a little meta here...I have always found most survivalist assumptions a little problematic. Most survival stories I have read usually go something like this: I walked a whole lot and then found somebody...along the way I might have found something to eat or drink and possibly rested in a semi-sheltered location...most of  the time not...the end. Very few of the survival stories I have read involved building anything...not saying it doesn't happen...but definitely not how most successful survival stories go. Obviously if you have made contact with rescuers you should stay put...but until you do moving seems to be your best bet at rescue. The assumptions get even more problematic for those theorizing apocalyptic survival scenarios...all evidence in war-torn areas (the closest "test" of what conditions would be like in an apocalypse...also what small or no government looks like in action)...suggest that no amount of "bunkering" will save you and those you care about...the act of "bunkering" will only increase the curiosity of the groups of armed men roaming around looking for targets of value...as it will appear you have something worth taking if you have gone to so much trouble to protect it.

12:08 a.m. on September 7, 2018 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,490 forum posts

Do note the link provided by the OP is a merchandising web site for for survivalist fetish toys (i.e knives, tomahawks, flint steels, brass knuckles and all those other testosterone supplements survivalists seem to need).  Ergo why the equipment list lacks entire categories of stuff a hiker would pack, meanwhile including items hikers rarely ever carry.

2:51 p.m. on September 7, 2018 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,047 forum posts

Because they don't hike much.  Too busy shooting and making gear lists. 

7:59 p.m. on September 10, 2018 (EDT)
34 reviewer rep
49 forum posts

Item #3 on the list, "Survival Machete". LOL #smh

The only time anyone will ever need a machete is if bushwhacking through jungle.

As a recovering survivalist, I approve of this thread. :D

2:46 p.m. on September 24, 2018 (EDT)
1,051 reviewer rep
714 forum posts

"...recovering survivalist..." Hee, hee Good one Gemma.

Yeah, the survivalist magazines are usually full of BS. A collapsable wood saw id far faster and more useful than an axe or tomahawk. The problem is that "survivalists" have usually not done any serious backpacking and a 5 mile day is their limit - well, especially with a 75 lb. pack!

UL backpacking gear is much closer to true survival needs. (Patting self on back..._)

3:25 p.m. on September 24, 2018 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,047 forum posts

The more skill you have, the less equipment you need. 

Most survivalists have a minimal amount of skill. I cannot stand their politics and obsession with guns. 

8:28 p.m. on September 24, 2018 (EDT)
295 reviewer rep
1,436 forum posts

The more skill you have, the less equipment you need. 

Most survivalists have a minimal amount of skill. I cannot stand their politics and obsession with guns.

So says ppine and I agree.  Some call themselves bushcrafters but I call them Bashcrafters for eating up a little big of the forest with their wannabe Davy Crockett moments---

Trip%20159%20048-L.jpg
A wannabe project in the Citico Creek wilderness---left to rot so I cut it apart.  And they also left their campfire burning.

TRIP%20116%20310-L.jpg
Here's another wannabe project I found on South Fork Citico Creek after some idiots cut down dozens of creekside rhodos for their short-lived thrill.

9:01 p.m. on September 24, 2018 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,047 forum posts

I don't see much of this kind of stuff.  Once in a while I see a simple Paitue style wickiup or a sweat lodge out somewhere a long way from a road. 

10:27 a.m. on September 26, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

FlipNC said:

At least they'll be ready when the zombies show up...not sure how I will deal with that with a couple of trekking poles and a 2 oz knife!

Keep your pack lite and a good pace on the trail and we'll all be ok. Most zombie flics show them moving pretty slow, I'm planning to just walk away from them. Even at a steady 2-3 mph you'd just leave them all behind. Save that 2 oz knife to cut a slice of summer sausage or hard cheese on the way. Those guys with the huge packs full of REI and Ace Hardware sale items may be in trouble, but that's why they have the "survival machete".

5:23 p.m. on September 26, 2018 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,490 forum posts

Brian Blanton said:

"..Most zombie flics (sic) show them moving pretty slow, I'm planning to just walk away from them..."

Perhaps just turning off net flicks on your smart phone will make them disappear...

Ed

11:50 p.m. on September 26, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

whomeworry said:

Perhaps just turning off net flicks on your smart phone will make them disappear...

Ed

(meant to be funny, not snarky) You can make zombies disappear?  That sounds much more effective. That'll be my go to move. Not sure if this helps with the "ultimate outdoor gear list" but selfishly I've got a plan A and B. Worst case, "survival machete".

February 17, 2020
Quick Reply