What are your "winter-only" garments? (or other items)

1:25 a.m. on January 20, 2019 (EST)
929 reviewer rep
635 forum posts

My WINTER-ONLY garments:

1. -20 F. LL Bean 750 fill down sleeping bag - best designed winter bag I've ever seen or owned.

2. Eddie Bauer PEAK XV belay/expedition down parka - excellent design, almost identical to the Patagonia Fitz Roy parka and good to -40 F. (And yes, I've experienced -40 F., just not in this parka)

3. Sorel felt pacs, Scarpa T3 Telemark plastic ski boots W/ removable liners

4. OR GTX mitten shells W/Dachstein boiled wool liner mittens or double layer EMDS fleece liners

5. Duluth Trading Dry on the Fly fleece lined nylon cargo pants - absolute best all around winter pants and almost 1/2 the price of the similar Rail Riders fleece lined nylon pants.

6. Himalayan wool Peruvian style knit hat with light fleece liner. Very warm.

"OTHER ITEMS": 

1. MSR Whisperlite Universal stove - in white gas mode

2. "winterized" Tarptent Moment DW and Scarp 2 tents (optional X-ing poles run under the fly for better support in high winds and heavy snow load.) PM me for details, or search on the BPL site for photos.

3. Atomic TM 22 Telemark skis and Asnes Combi Combat Norwegian army skis. Both have Voile' release bindings for my safety.

4. REI FLASH Insulated 3 season air mattress R 3.7 value (So far it's been warm at 10 F.) I may buy the FLASH 4 season version with R 5.2 value 

Eric B.

10:53 a.m. on January 20, 2019 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,636 forum posts

Down clothes.  I wear everything else all year. 

11:32 a.m. on January 20, 2019 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,151 reviewer rep
368 forum posts

Winter-only garments:

Marmot Greenland baffled down parka

Any of my waterproof/breathable “snow pants” by Cabela’s, EMS, and TNF.

GI ECWCS parka

Ganka Expedition mittens

EMS Ascent Summit gloves

OR Crocodile gaiters

Other gear

Sorel Conquest boots

Black Diamond Syncline trekking poles, they extend to 155cm, the extra 15cm over my FLZ poles poles is helpful in deep snow. 

Snowshoes, obviously, although I suppose it’s conceivable I might want to snowshoe in May/June in Tuckerman Ravine. 

ExPed DownMat 9, 3.5” of R=8 comfort for cold nights. 

4:16 p.m. on January 20, 2019 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,525 reviewer rep
2,150 forum posts

Camp crampons (review just revised with photos)

ScScar inverno boots

Smartwool or bridgedale expedition socks

Patagonia micro puff pans

First ascent peak xv jacket

Ran infinity jacket

Patagonia r1 balaclava

Outdoor research alti mitts

Black diamond guide glove

4:03 p.m. on January 28, 2019 (EST)
929 reviewer rep
635 forum posts

Scratch that LL BEAN parka. When it came I discovered it was NOT baffled construction but sewn-thru. Bad ad copy description said it was baffled. I sent it back

Then I got an Eddie Bauer PEAK XV "jacket" (really an expedition parka).

IT is truly baffled and an expedition parka good to -40 F./C. You need to pair it with very warm pants, boots and mittens to complete the outfit.

This parka is a keeper.

Eric B.

4:50 p.m. on January 28, 2019 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,212 forum posts

Similar stuff to already mentioned, except my shell garments never have insulation.

• Down fill bib pants.
  • An additional balaclava.
  • "Camp flippers".  DYI, thumbless mitts that go almost to the elbow.  Double layer, removable  fleece liners in a gore tex shell.  A flap in the palm of the liners and shell allow exposing hands when needed.
  • Booties/quasi mukluks.  DYI, similar to the flippers; these go to just above mid calf. Sole is winter grade blue foam pad 
  • Latex dish washing gloves.  They keep hands warm when doing detail work, and protect from metal causing freeze burns.
  • Glacier glasses for sunny days, and amber goggles for overcast and high winds.

Ed

4:31 p.m. on January 31, 2019 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,525 reviewer rep
2,150 forum posts

deep cold, a down jacket that is fully baffled is hard to beat.  if you're in conditions unlikely to drop below zero fahrenheit, a sewn-through jacket with a good amount of high-quality down is fine, provided it has a good hood. i have used jackets like the RAB infinity and mountain hardwear's phantom with hood in pretty cold weather. they're warm, lighter-weight, and easier to pack than something as large as the first ascent parka, just not enough for persistent sub-zero weather.  

3:25 p.m. on February 1, 2019 (EST)
929 reviewer rep
635 forum posts

In the recent extreme cold of the upper midwest my clothing should be:

1. polar weight polyester long johns (W/zip T neck)

2. VBL socks of 3 mm closed cell neoprene divers socks over thin poly liners

3. heavy Norwegian wool sweater

4. Thermolite insulating pants

5. GTX & Thinsulate insulated ski pants

5. Eddie Bauer PEAK XV baffled down parka (good to at least -40 F.)

6. Sorel felt pacs

7. fleece balaclava

8. ski goggles (mainly for face protection against frostbite)

9. OR brand GTX gauntlet style mitten shells over double layer EMS fleece mitten liners or Dachstein boiled wool mitten liners - both are equally warm

So that's my "armor" against extreme weather and it has been successfully tested except for the new EB PEAK XV parka. But it has been well tested by mountaineers and others. 

Eric B.

February 19, 2019
Quick Reply