Got a new Eddie Bauer PEAK XV down parka

3:57 p.m. on January 28, 2019 (EST)
1,066 reviewer rep
716 forum posts

The EB PEAK XV is a baffled own parka good to -40 F./C. I got it on sale for $299. for a $200. savings.

It has:

1.DWR treated down

2. baffled construction throughout

3. helmet compatible hood

4. a light Cordura brand tough shell

5. captive drawstrings on hood (2) and on the hem

6. 3 outer pockets and 3 inside pockets

This parka needs to be paired with very warm pants, boots and mittens.

->I'll be using my GTX, Thinsulated insulated ski pants over Thermolite Micro insulated insulating layer in severe temperatures. 

->Sorel felt pacs W/3 mm closed cell divers socks for VBL liners

-> OR GTX mitten shells over EMS double layer fleece mitten liners or Dachstein boiled wool liners.

There are a few reviews here of this classic parka but you have to type "Eddie Bauer PEAK XV Jacket" in the search box to bring them up. 

Eric B.

7:48 p.m. on February 24, 2019 (EST)
1,066 reviewer rep
716 forum posts

UPDATE:

I have filled the existing interior zipper baffle with 800 fill DWR treated goose down. I had to stuff it so full and so tightly of down that it would have been OK with 600 fill down but I got this stuff from "Ripstop by the Roll" to also overstuff some other parts of other down garments.

Additionally I'm having a second zipper baffle made and sewn on so I can also fill it with down. It will resemble Patagonia's double baffles on their GRADE VII and Fitz Roy extreme weather parkas.

BTW, since this down has the same DWR treatment that The North Face uses I tested it by putting about a 2" x 2" amount in a highball glasswork. Then I ran water over the down with the sink faucet set on spray. No water stayed on the down except a few tiny drops. The glass was 1/3 full of water and I could see no down below the meniscus of the water.

I kept the down in the glass for THREE days and yet it did not change its appearance, just a handful of down sitting on the very top the water. So I took it out and let it dry overnight. (A small amount was damp from sitting on the water for 3 days. This DWR is amazing!

Eric B.

March 29, 2020
Quick Reply