The search for the perfect boot: the turn down the Asolo trail.

12:45 a.m. on March 22, 2019 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
30 forum posts

To review, I've been on the search for the perfect day hiker.  I want something light and super comfortable, but I've ruled out trail runners.  The list of boots I've bought is astonishing, even to me.  I have an obvious footwear fetish.

The good news is I'm nearing the end of my search.  If I were sane, I'd say I've reached the end of my search.  I've found not one, but two boots that are pretty close to perfect.  The Asolo Falcon and the Thyrus.  They fit differently, and I'd say better, than any other boot I've tried.  Unfortunately this doesn't mean all Asolo boots fit like this.  I also bought an Oroel too (I told you I was insane) and it doesn't fit bad, but doesn't have the same fantastic fit as the Falcon and Thyrus.  I'm sure other models must use the same last, but to be sure, I'd need to try them on at a store.  But for now, the Falcon and Thyrus are my top choices.  Fantastic boots.

Still on my list of boots I'd like to buy is the Salomon Ultra 3 mid.  I have some Salomon 4D 2 GTX backpacking boots that I'm very impressed with.  If I were hiking to Everest base camp, these are the boots I'd wear.  So I'm inclined to think I'd like the Ultra 3 a lot too.

If I ever get the urge to climb Rainier again, or some other big volcano, like Chimborazo, La Sportiva makes a great boot for that.

Currently, my three favorite boot companies are Asolo, Salomon, and La Sportiva.

9:09 a.m. on March 22, 2019 (EDT)
82 reviewer rep
444 forum posts

Everybody's feet are different, so what works for A, may not be best for B.

Years ago, I had a pair of custom fit Limmers, which I used to summit Orizaba, among other numerous excursions.  I am currently wearing Vasque boots, which are perfectly adequate.

When I was running marathons, my running shoes worked perfectly well for the shorter day hikes I did.

There are all kinds of options out there - a good thing for the Imelda's of the world.

12:51 p.m. on March 22, 2019 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,325 forum posts

I just use Adidas Superstar basketball shoes for day hikes.  Good arch support, comfortable, good shock absorption, light and cheaper than boots. When packing loads, though, I go with Asolo or Vasque, something with a shank in the sole to protect from rock bruises.  I use an after market foot bed to get better arch support.

Ed

2:12 p.m. on March 22, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,243 reviewer rep
397 forum posts

Asolo Fugitive GTX and Lowa Camino GTX are what I‘ve settled on for the time being. The Asolos needed minimal break-in time, while the Lowas needed effectively none - I hiked about 2-3 flat miles in them on Monday and wore them up Mt Monroe NH on Saturday. No problems at all, my feet felt as good at the end as the beginning. Being all leather they’re a more beefy boot than the Asolos, but they feel like they’re filled with air to confirm perfectly to my feet. I’ve only worn them on 5 or 6 hikes, though; winter came along and along with it came plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendinitis so all last year I had to hike in low shoes to avoid further aggravating my heel. 

June 26, 2019
Quick Reply