Biodegradable fleece?

1:29 p.m. on April 22, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,460 reviewer rep
1,183 forum posts
8:48 p.m. on April 22, 2019 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,521 forum posts

Interesting.  But since sugar is also a hydrocarbon, you still have to source it, and consequently have a carbon footprint to facilitate this approach.  Which makes me wonder: does this pose the same quandary as ethanol, regarding how we we prioritize use of arable land? 

Ed 

8:41 a.m. on April 23, 2019 (EDT)
6,460 reviewer rep
1,183 forum posts

OK, but I think the amounts of sugar needed for supplying outdoor freaks with biodegradable fleece is several orders of magnitude less than what would be needed for a reasonable supply of biofuels. Maybe it's time to bring back celluloid and rayon, which are made from cellulose. There's a group here at NTNU that is trying to develop i.e. a plastic wrap substitute from nanocellulose fibers that would be more biodegradable than those variants. Maybe cellulose-fleece?

2:24 p.m. on April 25, 2019 (EDT)
82 reviewer rep
492 forum posts

This is the dawning of a new geological era - the Plastocene.  Will Patagonia jackets be recovered in the future as index fossils.  How will uture genertions deal with North ace gear found on southerly exposures?

problems, problems....

3:38 p.m. on April 26, 2019 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,521 forum posts

BigRed said:

"OK, but I think the amounts of sugar needed for supplying outdoor freaks with biodegradable fleece is several orders of magnitude less than what would be needed for a reasonable supply of biofuels..." 

Good point, I am probably overthinking this.  Nevertheless current fleece is a good re-purposing of water bottle plastics.  I bought a fleece top over 30 years ago that is still in pretty good condition.  And I use cheapo rayon Hawaiian shirts instead of pricey tech shirts.  I guess we should focus on getting people off their bottled water habits.

Ed

6:47 a.m. on April 27, 2019 (EDT)
6,460 reviewer rep
1,183 forum posts

Yeah I always thought the recycling was a good idea but a while back I posted a comment on this thread with a link to this article from Outside on microplastic pollution from fleece. I too have a couple different fleece jackets that are 20+ to 30+ years old but don't see much action and therefore washing these days -- one is on its third zipper and does service mainly as a November yard work jacket, truly filthy. I do have a collection of tech shirts mainly from races plus two I reviewed for TS.  They are tightly knot from tightly wound threads so I suspect they don't shed as much as fleece. My Hawaiian shirts are mainly cotton (which generates pollution of a different kind) but I have a few in rayon or something and two silk ones that only come out on special occasions.

April 4, 2020
Quick Reply