Vest

12:31 a.m. on April 25, 2019 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Looking for a good warm , waterproof, gortex and breathable vest for a cheap price. What would you suggest.

1:38 a.m. on April 25, 2019 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,695 reviewer rep
1,479 forum posts

Warm, light, cheap...pick two.

Hopefully you can find an older Marmot at a second-hand shop. Might need to buy a jacket and mod the sleeves yourself.

8:47 a.m. on April 25, 2019 (EDT)
82 reviewer rep
472 forum posts

Does anyone offer a gore-Tex vest?  What would be the point?

10:39 a.m. on April 25, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,135 reviewer rep
1,065 forum posts

I was gonna ask the same thing. Ive seen xc skiing vest made of soft shell to cut the wind but a gore tex vest seems like the worst idea ever.

12:02 p.m. on May 1, 2019 (EDT)
57 reviewer rep
84 forum posts

I too am baffled by the intention behind a waterproof vest. What's your use-case Adam?

10:41 a.m. on May 2, 2019 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,968 forum posts

Buy a down vest.  If it rains put a plastic trash bag over it.  When the rain stops take it off. 

2:08 p.m. on May 3, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,916 reviewer rep
2,269 forum posts

i have used fleece vests - somewhat warm, very breathable, not waterproof. I have used down vests - very warm, water resistant, not at all breathable. there are or used to be good merino wool vests that were moderately thick, quite warm relatively breathable and able to shed some precipitation, but the brand i knew best for this is no longer in business.  

there may be some workout clothes that have very light sleeves but a vest-like portion, hybrids. 

9:26 a.m. on May 4, 2019 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,968 forum posts

A wool Flison vest is very warm and will last a lifetime.  Breathes the best of any fabric. 

7:31 p.m. on May 4, 2019 (EDT)
447 reviewer rep
289 forum posts

I often wear a 'Codet'[Canadian] wool vest which is about identical to a 'Johnson'[Vermont].

I believe 'Woolrich' has both lighter and heavier than the two above.

10:31 a.m. on May 6, 2019 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,968 forum posts

All good choices.  Ever wear Stanfield's wool under wear?

10:17 a.m. on May 8, 2019 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,235 forum posts

I sometimes use a water resistant vest for trail running. It keeps your core drier in the rain/snow if needed, and obviously is still quite breathable. It's unlined and uninsulated, because it's for running. (Mine is the Arc'teryx Cita Vest, though there are others out there; I had another from The North Face ages ago, for example.)

I also know of ski patrol vests that are highly water resistant and sometimes insulated, though not necessarily waterproof (for example: The North Face Powder Guide Vest, though I think this one is uninsulated, and the 10-20 Patrol Vest, which is waterproof and insulated).

Those are two very different examples with lots of other options in between. So clearly knowing the intended use of a vest is important.

What types of activities do you want the vest for and where and when would you use it, Adam?

12:57 a.m. on May 30, 2019 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,968 forum posts

There is no cheap goretex. 

I have never seen goretex that breathes well with exertion. 

6:41 a.m. on May 30, 2019 (EDT)
107 reviewer rep
520 forum posts

Lakeffectathlete said:

Looking for a good warm , waterproof, gortex and breathable vest for a cheap price. What would you suggest.

You might try some of the fly fishing vests. What they are made of ???? Who knows but would probably be in line with what you are looking for.

9:16 p.m. on June 3, 2019 (EDT)
447 reviewer rep
289 forum posts

ppine said: I never have. Never seen it either:)

All good choices.  Ever wear Stanfield's wool under wear?

11:38 p.m. on June 4, 2019 (EDT)
1,024 reviewer rep
682 forum posts

Look for an Eddie Bauer First Ascent down vest. Their down is DWR treated to be very water resistant. They typically go on sale at at 40% reduction.

Also LL Bean has very good DWR treated down vests that go on sale.

Also I have a 200 weight fleece vest and a 300 weight fleece vest. these are for when I'm moving and sweating a lot as in backcountry skiing or snowshoeing.

Eric B.

4:46 p.m. on June 6, 2019 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,968 forum posts

Wool can get wet, it won't burn in a fire, it won't smell to high heaven, and we can grow more.  I like down vests in dry conditions, but not the wet. 

I am serious about the plastic garbage bag.  Works like a charm. 

10:29 a.m. on June 13, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,827 reviewer rep
1,680 forum posts

Vests; when its Winter on your body but Summer on your arms ;)

November 16, 2019
Quick Reply