Oboz Bridger mid dry waterproof: first impressions.

1:22 a.m. on May 18, 2019 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
48 forum posts

Today was the first day of the REI anniversary sale.  I went with the intention of trying on the Salomon X Ultra3 mid hiking boot and, if it fit, buy it.  I really expected it to fit, but it didn't.  It was too roomy.  My big concern was that my heel moved up and down, in the boot, which is a real no no.  I asked the lady working in the boot department if it was a wide and not a medium and she said no.  Based on my question, she suggested I try the Oboz Bridger.  I'd never really considered Oboz before.  I always thought they were a little weird looking, like their soles had become infected and swollen to twice normal size.  But I was open to her suggestion.  After all, her job is fitting people with boots.  She was right.  The Oboz fit nearly perfectly.  Snug where they need to be and roomy where they don't.

I always change the insole on new boots.  These may be the first boots that I don't need to.  The insoles these come with are way better than typical.  The tread is nice and deep.  They'll probably hold on to a lot of mud, but traction and durability should be good.  Oboz are designed in Bozeman, Montana.  I like the idea that they were designed in the Rockies, where I do most of my hiking.

Right now, my one gripe is that there is no loop, on the back, to help pull the boot on.  I plan on doing a little fitness hike tomorrow morning and I plan on wearing my new Oboz.  Make sure they're good for bigger hikes this summer.

8:25 p.m. on May 18, 2019 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
176 forum posts

Are they built with a wider than normal toe box? 

1:34 p.m. on May 22, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
7,318 reviewer rep
2,319 forum posts

if you are interested, I reviewed the low version of that boot and the beefier boot, the Wind River.  https://www.trailspace.com/gear/oboz/bridger-low-waterproof/?review=39097      

https://www.trailspace.com/gear/oboz/wind-river-iii-waterproof/?review=38823

I also reviewed the Sawtooth low, which is really a different category of shoe - it's lighter and wears more quickly.  I rarely get more than a year of use from lighter-weight trail shoes.  

You'll note the Wind River has a loop on the back.  Oboz's shoe lasts run a little wide in the toe box anyway, but the Bridger low and mid are available in wide sizing.  The Bridger is a reasonably forgiving shoe - the midsole and shank aren't very stiff.  

A number of months ago, I switched foot doctors and ended up with custom orthotics that are more aggressive and higher volume than before. The foot doc also suggested I look at shoes that have a stiffer midsole, noting the Bridger's relatively forgiving shank would work at cross purposes with the orthotic. I ended up with the Salomon X Ultra 3 low because they sell that in wide sizes, and it accommodated the higher-volume orthotic well.  (The Wind River III is a great, sturdy boot, but they don't sell it in wide).  

12:39 p.m. on June 15, 2019 (EDT)
565 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

I'm impressed with Oboz, and I think they tend to run a little narrower than other brands (which is good for me). I got the Wind River III boots, which are pretty beefy. They get pretty hot in anything but cold weather. If Oboz would make the Bridger in a non-waterproof version I'd be all over that.

12:58 p.m. on June 15, 2019 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I’ve got Oboz boots.  Probably have about 750 miles in them and I’ve been pleased.  i have wide feet and they fit me well.  

10:16 a.m. on August 8, 2019 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
30 forum posts

The best boots are the ones that fit your foot.

For me, it is OBOZ FTW.

I simply wish the upper of their big boot, The Wind River, was stiffer, and that it came in a "wide" sizing. 

February 29, 2020
Quick Reply