Do you use gaiters for mild weather trips?

4:26 p.m. on July 29, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,827 reviewer rep
1,444 forum posts

Always interested in input...

I used to pack Rocky Mtn Low gaiters on most trips then tried others including Dirty Girl and now tending not to carry any gaiters except in snow/winter.  For wet trips in shoulder seasons my rain pants keep most moisture out of my boots and in better weather I sweat so much in gaiters it seemed counter productive.

As far as keeping sticks, rocks, etc out of my shoes, I tend to wear light ankle-high boots (for that purpose rather than ankle support) so that is less of an issue and a relatively low level annoyance compared to the gaiters themselves and the heat they generate. I have light hiking pants that also keep crap out of my boots most of the time if I'm not in shorts, which I wear less of these days to keep ticks off in warm seasons.

There are as always exceptions to these approaches but that's my general approach right now.  Thoughts and approaches from the Trailspacers?

4:28 p.m. on July 29, 2019 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,969 forum posts

No. I barely use them at all. 

6:39 p.m. on July 29, 2019 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

Got a short, thin breathable nylon pair at REI years ago for just one place, the Do’s Cabezas Mountain wilderness, a place of wildly stacked boulders, ancient Native American grind holes, black tailed rattlers and roaming jaguars. Where we camped in the grasslands below, the grass seeds are the most horrible I’ve ever seen and stick by the dozens with each step. Takes hours to extract them from socks. That is e only place I’ll wear them but some wear them to keep out sand and gravel or to give some water resistance from wet grass or rain. I just let things get wet as they dry just as fast out here.

8:01 p.m. on July 29, 2019 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,419 forum posts

Nope.  My normal mild weather boot comes over my ankle, making only the loosest of gravel scree an issue.  I only wear gators when the snow is soft and I sink above the cuff of my boot.

Ed

11:27 p.m. on July 29, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,916 reviewer rep
2,269 forum posts

i'll bring them (short pair of eVent gaiters from Integral Design, I have two pair) if i might end up walking a lot in wet morning grass or if it's not too hot, because they help keep annoying little stones out of my shoes. it's too hot most of the time here in the summer to use them, though. 

10:43 a.m. on July 30, 2019 (EDT)
2,017 reviewer rep
387 forum posts

I have two pairs of Dirty Girls and almost never wear them. I wear standard trail runners but just don't have a problem getting stuff into my shoes for the places I usually go  (SE Appalachian and Sierra). For long trips to the Sierra I will carry them but almost never end up using them. If I'm going x-country through forest duff then I'll put them on.

12:22 p.m. on July 31, 2019 (EDT)
273 reviewer rep
1,948 forum posts

I have a pair of dirty girls.Do I use them nope.Maybe this winter but summer, spring and fall I really don't use them at all....

5:53 p.m. on July 31, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,827 reviewer rep
1,680 forum posts

I don't even wear gaiters when I climb glaciated volcanoes in the summer. 

Deep, winter snow, yes.  Every thing else, nope.  I just deal with crap in my shoes.

12:31 a.m. on August 1, 2019 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER
301 reviewer rep
145 forum posts

I will use them in the spring. During early tick season. On muddy trails. 

9:20 a.m. on August 7, 2019 (EDT)
5,597 reviewer rep
617 forum posts

Nope. I've only been in one mild-weather situation where I said to myself, "I really wish I had a pair of gaiters with me right now." Not enough justification for me to bring them though.

9:10 a.m. on August 8, 2019 (EDT)
5,205 reviewer rep
1,106 forum posts

I wisht I had a pair of tall gaiters in Iceland this summer. If you're fast enough, they can (along with a well-greased pair of leather boots)  be the difference between dry and wet feet in over-the ankle stream crossings.

Dirty Girls can be good for keeping out mud when wearing low shoes and shorts and for keeping out dust in dry, dusty conditions.

5:23 p.m. on August 19, 2019 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,969 forum posts

For wet country I use water shoes.

7:46 p.m. on August 19, 2019 (EDT)
447 reviewer rep
290 forum posts

I have often worn cordura gaitors in mild weather when I felt rough or wet conditions warranted them.

8:04 a.m. on August 20, 2019 (EDT)
8,737 reviewer rep
1,476 forum posts

Thought of this thread while climbing a cloud enshrouded mountain the other day. Between the cloud and sweat the only part of me that was dry was from the knees down. Tall gaiters and full leather boots may not be popular, but they can be darn functional in the right application.

6:29 p.m. on September 9, 2019 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,383 forum posts

I used them in Alaska in the summer to backpack in Denali NP. The moss and lichen are very wet and they kept my lower legs dry.

November 17, 2019
Quick Reply