what's your favorite reasonably robust hiking boot?

11:30 a.m. on September 27, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,916 reviewer rep
2,268 forum posts

Asking for my brother, his several year old boots croaked after 10 days in the Alps. Basic requirements:

-Normal width

-mild pronator

-needs waterproof/breathable

-prefers more support to less

Boots we talked about: Oboz Wind River III and Bridger mid, Salomon Quest 4D mid, Merrell Moab mid.  

I gave some basic advice, but my more supportive boots, limmer standards and lightweights, are really more than he needs, and my comments on the lighter mid-weight boots are limited to the Oboz boots with which I'm familiar.

thanks.  

2:29 p.m. on September 27, 2019 (EDT)
107 reviewer rep
516 forum posts

Hey Andrew I’ve used the Oboz wind river, Merrell Moab and currently using the Salomon Quest 4D 3 gtx

all 3 have benefits 

best comfort - Merrell 

best toe box for wide ft- Salomon

no doubt about it support - Oboz

ankle support - Id say it’s a tie between Salomon and oboz

longest lasting? It will be between the Salomon and oboz just can’t say yet still using the salomons and the Merrell well they we’re good for about a year of use.

Best value price wise Oboz by far. Salomons are twice the price.

basically Oboz wins for price point, and they have the best platform just right stiff, Salomons come in 2nd but only due to price, otherwise I’d put them ahead for geat fit and a better upper 

for the tennis shoe feel and comfort Merrell wins but their sole breaks down fairly quick and the The seems. So they just are not near as durable. 1 year at best.

hope that helps brother 

2:43 p.m. on September 27, 2019 (EDT)
107 reviewer rep
516 forum posts

One Note

i didn’t rate them on traction be cause I can’t decide between Oboz and Salomon just yet and Merrell doesn’t make the grade due to the fact that what good is traction if the boots are busting at the seams as soon as they get broken in good.

all are good but need more time in the Salomons to give a fair assessment.

2:48 p.m. on September 27, 2019 (EDT)
5,135 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

Zamberlan Vioz 

5:04 p.m. on September 27, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,310 reviewer rep
409 forum posts

Asolo Fugitive GTX, I’ve put a LOT of miles on mine between hiking in the Whites and snowshoeing and they’ve never let me down. They’re relatively lightweight, give great traction despite not being Vibram soled, and I find them very supportive. Like with just about every boot & shoe I’ve worn in the past 4 or 5 years I did need to use aftermarket footbeds, which pushes the price close to $300.  

11:34 p.m. on September 27, 2019 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,695 reviewer rep
1,478 forum posts

I'll have to second the Asolo Fugitive recommendation. Remarkably stout for the weight. Seal the seams to keep the threads locked and they go for years and years.

11:49 p.m. on September 27, 2019 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER
301 reviewer rep
143 forum posts

I have been guiding in a pair of Scarpa Sl for the last several years here’s why

+ Full grain leather ( bomb proof )

+ Fully water proof when treated properly- spend a far amount of time crossing small creeks

+ Solid sole - also a pronator - spend a lot of time in broken lime stone 

+ Descent ankle support - at 56 the scar tissue scared my doctor its  from carrying heavy packs 

+ Very little break in - If you read my review - you will need to use gorilla tape to keep a heel pocket from forming 

- Heavy 

- not breathable 

i get about 4 summer seasons out of these boots and beat the crap out of them. 

11:53 p.m. on September 27, 2019 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER
301 reviewer rep
143 forum posts

Paul Lapierre said:

I have been guiding in a couple of pairs  of Scarpa Sl for the last several years here’s why

+ Full grain leather ( bomb proof )

+ Fully water proof when treated properly- spend a far amount of time crossing small creeks on muddy trails

+ Solid sole - also a pronator - spend a lot of time in broken lime stone 

+ Descent ankle support - at 56 the scar tissue scared my doctor its  from carrying heavy packs in my earlier life 

+ Very little break in

- You will need to use gorilla tape to keep a heel pocket from forming 

- Heavy 

- not breathable 

i get about 4 summer seasons out of these boots and beat the crap out of them. 

2:01 a.m. on September 28, 2019 (EDT)
5,205 reviewer rep
1,105 forum posts

I am enjoying my Keen Targhee waterproofs, which I got after being very happy with the vent version. I got an older pair with little exposed stitching around the front end, on sale. They should last a while. Way more comfy on me than the Moabs.

12:45 p.m. on September 30, 2019 (EDT)
295 reviewer rep
1,426 forum posts

I carry alot of pack weight on my trips and my go-to favorite backpacking boot is the Asolo Fugitive---comfy fit right out of the box.  Of course I'm on my 8th or 9th pair by now. 

My winter fave is NOT the Asolo 520s but ZAMBERLAN Vioz Plus---as Jake says.  These babies are heavy but excellent for cold weather backpacking when you're humping an 80 to 90 lb pack.

Trip-194-73--XL.jpg
Zams in action.

Trip-190-158--XL.jpgAnd these babies can wade small creeks in the winter whereby your socks stay dry. 

7:59 p.m. on October 9, 2019 (EDT)
1,024 reviewer rep
682 forum posts

MERRILL MOAB MID waterproof breathable lined.

Great for wet/cold hiking, hunting and backpacking. In snow or cold weather I wear my "famous" VBL of Aqua Lung 3 mm closed cell neoprene divers' socks over thin poly liner socks. Keeps the inside of the boot dry and also gives more warmth than sweat dampened wool socks.

Externally I wear knee-high Gore-Tex gaiters to keep out snow and give another 15 F. or so of warmth. 

12:26 p.m. on October 19, 2019 (EDT)
57 reviewer rep
84 forum posts

I love my Danner Mountain Pass boots. Light, comfortable out of the box, waterproof, supportive, real leather, iron traction, and resoleable. Boots that break in instead of wear out. 

November 14, 2019
Quick Reply