Spot X question

2:51 p.m. on November 25, 2019 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Has anyone had experience messaging with the Spot X? I am considering getting one to replace my Garmin inReach Mini, which never worked well. But if messaging is even worse, there would be no point in switching IMO.

The reasons to consider the Spot X vs Garmin is that the basic Spot plan includes more features at the same price and the unit itself is much less expensive. Also, you can compose messages on the physical keyboard eliminating the need to carry a phone (you can bluetooth pair with your phone, though with the newest verion).

7:12 p.m. on November 26, 2019 (EST)
2,017 reviewer rep
403 forum posts

I have no experience with the Spot, but I have read many reviews and reports from people who have used Spot or InReach one both, and the general feeling I've gleaned from that is that the InReach has better coverage. They use different satellite systems. YMMV.

2:41 p.m. on November 27, 2019 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Yeah, I've read that too about the Globalstar vs Iridium sat systems, but was hoping somebody had the newest Spot X version and found that it was somehow improved to work better than in the past.

10:23 a.m. on November 28, 2019 (EST)
2,017 reviewer rep
403 forum posts

P.S. I do use InReach myself. Messages sometimes take a while to go out, but for me always do eventually go through.

10:51 a.m. on November 28, 2019 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
9,709 reviewer rep
1,577 forum posts

Most of my inReach messaging is fast enough, but the messages my wife sends in the evening are sometimes delayed. If so, when I leave the unit on they may arrive in the middle of the night otherwise I see them when I turn it on in the morning. I think they have slowdowns when processing heavy traffic. First thing in the morning and last thing at dusk are common times for check ins and pulling weather reports is my guess as to why. Hopefully SOS traffic is prioritized heh.

April 7, 2020
Quick Reply