Wood stoves and their pipes...

8:09 a.m. on March 12, 2020 (EDT)
WILL1E
24 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

This weekend I got to try my new hot tent and titanium backpacking wood stove. The tent is basically an unbranded (bought direct from tent manufacturer) One Tigris hot tent: https://www.onetigris.com/smokey-hut-chimney-tent.html  The stove is a rectangular box roughly 8 x 8 x 16.

My biggest complaint is how far into the center of the tent the stove sat. As I was scrolling through YouTube this morning, I noticed a video where the person had a similar looking stove, but the pipe coming out of the top was located in the front side (see photo below) by the door vs the back end away from the door like i had mine. 

So my question is, what are the pros/cons of having the pipe towards the front vs. the back?

stove.jpg

11:23 a.m. on March 12, 2020 (EDT)
ppine
73 reviewer rep
4,106 forum posts

A straight stove pipe helps the stove draw.  Where to put it takes some experimenting.  Just be careful not to get too close to the nylon.  A tent fire is a disaster and really dangerous.  Make sure everyone carries a pocket knife in case you need to make a quick exit. 

2:06 p.m. on March 12, 2020 (EDT)
LoneStranger
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
10,075 reviewer rep
1,625 forum posts

Yeah, you have to keep distance from the wall, especially with modern light weight hot tents which will melt easier than heavier canvas. I think the problems with the stove in the front would be the stove is in the way and you'd probably lose more heat as the firebox would cool more whenever you open the door.

Thanks for all your posts on this topic lately WILL1E. I've had my eye on similar set ups for a few years now. Learning along with you from your posts lets me put off spending any money on this til at least next Winter :)

8:40 a.m. on March 13, 2020 (EDT)
WILL1E
24 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

LoneStranger said:

Yeah, you have to keep distance from the wall, especially with modern light weight hot tents which will melt easier than heavier canvas. I think the problems with the stove in the front would be the stove is in the way and you'd probably lose more heat as the firebox would cool more whenever you open the door.

Thanks for all your posts on this topic lately WILL1E. I've had my eye on similar set ups for a few years now. Learning along with you from your posts lets me put off spending any money on this til at least next Winter :)

It's not a cheap investment by any means.  The stove shown above is a $$$ one sold by someone in the states.  The one i bought is a china knock off of almost identical design.  It was still expensive, but about half of the one shown above.

The tent i got is just like the One Tigris tent, however mine has 2 doors (not sure if theirs does or not).  I paid less than $100 for it.  The put the stove jack opening on the tent panel directly next to the door.  This tent can't hold more than 2 people so it would have been smarter to put it on the panel centered between the 2 doors.  That way each person could have their own door. 

9:05 a.m. on March 13, 2020 (EDT)
LoneStranger
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
10,075 reviewer rep
1,625 forum posts

The ones I've looked at say their 2P shelter is 1P with stove and the 4P shelter is 2P with stove and so on. They are a tipi based design and the stove jack is to one side through the roof with doors to either side of it if you get two. You sleep on the other side which helps keep your expensive bag away from the stove :)

4:22 p.m. on March 16, 2020 (EDT)
Old Guide
447 reviewer rep
443 forum posts

That's pretty much the stove Dave Hadfield uses in Canada and few have his experience. 

You probably can go Google Up or find on YouTube some of Dave's adventures.

May 24, 2020
Quick Reply