Open main menu

Tarptent Gen. 2 Notch Li (DCF) solo tent

Henry Shires has just introduced the Notch Li gen. 2 solo tent. Take a look on his website.

The upgrades are waterproof 2-way zippers and a lighter "solid" inner tent.

Being a hiking pole supported tent requires you take least 4 stakes, 2 for the ends and 2 for the sides. Take 2 more stakes to guy it out at each side for windy conditions. 

For my aging body I "need" this tent and will likely get it this month (April, 2020) for this summer's trips.

Along with a lighter mattress (REI FLASH Insulated Regular at 15 oz.) and an Osprey EXOS 58 pack, carbon fiber hiking poles, TD Sidewinder ti Caldera Cone stove for ESBIT tab fuel and a few other light items I think I can backpack for 5 days with a 25 lb. pack. That's UL but certainly not SUL. I value comfort, both on the trail and especially at night.

Since moving to Nevada in 2004 and finding good backpacking sites like Trailspace I've cut my 3 season pack weight by at least 20 pounds! It really makes a difference to this geezer. 

I do credit advances like carbon fiber hiking poles, Dyneema packs and tents, lighter mattresses, stoves, etc. for this weight reduction as well.

I've gone on a similar journey the last 20 years of dropping pack weight down to what I call "comfortably light" - not sure if its L or UL or something else...stopped weighing once I got it dialed in. 

Unfortunately, my cheap Scottish upbringing, or genes, won't let me drop the $600 for a new Tarptent...I'm sticking with the silnylon Stratospire 1 for the foreseeable future...barring major accidents I feel I can get 10 years out of it at least, which would make the cost less than $30 a year...that means I would have to get 20 years out of the new DCF versions! 

Phil,

I hear you. I haven't ordered yet B/C of that eye-watering high price but will likely do so since I got my $1,200. "pandemic relief check" today. Plus we cancelled a road trip around Spain and Portugal so i now have some unexpected slack in my budget. 

My very nice Tarptent moment DW (with updated fly since the original blew away) is going to be saved for mostly winter camping or for very high and windy trips. It's a rock in high winds when properly staked and guyed down (6 guys!) and the fly hem is staked out. We use a TT Scarp 2 for car camping but I've "winterized" it with the2 X-ing poles shortened and running under the fly. 

I absolutely will dye the inner tent of the Notch Li green when I get it. Shade and privacy are both nice. And IF I can dye the fly with something like permanent marker I'll do that to - regardless of how long I have to labor (labour?).

Eric B.

UPDATE: OK, so I finally ordered the Notch Li. Should be here in a few days. I got the pole handle ties so I can put the pole tips on the ground. Since I use rubber cups on my pole tips they should not sink into the ground much.

Aldo I ordered extra Dyneema repair tape so I could make 4 reinforcements on the fly hem to sew on stake loops to nail it down in high winds. 

I discovered RIT makes a special dye called DyeMore for synthetic fabrics. Should make dyeing the inner tent solid areas green easier.

Eric B.

Eric:

FYI:  DYI dye projects almost always fade in the sun.  Most fabric dyes are plant based.  See if you can find a mineral based dye.  Mineral based dyes are more stable, much less affected by UV exposure.

Ed

Ed,

Yep, this RIT DyeMore is a mineral based dye. And if it does fade I can always do it over. But it is the inner tent so should not fade much. It requires high heat water so I would never try it on the fly. 

I'm going to see if permanent marker will work "permanently" on the Dyneema fabric. It's doubtful but worth a try. And if successful I will patiently do the entire fly. A good "pandemic project". ;o)

I guess I just can't resist modding my gear. it's a "Magnificent Obsession". (GOOGLE the '50s movie for the backstory.)

Eric B.

October 27, 2021
Quick Reply