Open main menu

Warm weather tights

Curious to hear other folks' experience hiking in warm weather using tights with shorts or other over the top. I'm testing out some short pants that really need something under them and I'd want the sun/bug protection anyway. My experience is all with cold weather base layers so I'm not sure what to look for. Obviously I don't want extra heat and they need to handle some sweat.

If you have input on materials, style or other experience you'd like to share I'd love to hear it.

I have worn light long underwear bottoms plenty of times in the back country, sometimes with shorts.  They are good in boats and dry quickly. 

I used my lightest long bottoms on this last trip and they were functional I guess. Just thinking I'd like to find something cooler if I can. It was over 80 on parts of two days, but I know steamier days are ahead :)

I would overheat hiking in long pants or tights in the summer, unless it's a cold day in the mountains. most of the time,  I'm in shorts, and the first layer I tend to put on if it's cooler or windy is a pair of nylon wind pants.

the lightest layers I have worn are light capilene bottoms (discontinued by Patagonia, they only sell mid and thermal weight now) and lycra tights made for running - I guess yoga tights or 'joggers' with a looser fit could serve a similar purpose.

I would read some reviews. I have worn nike, Under Armour, and saucony tights for running - most companies make regular layers and thermal weight.  I have had the best luck with Saucony, for whatever reason.  

I've worn runners tights, which provided little in the way of warmth or wind protection.  May check that out.

Ed

Was looking at running tights online yesterday and came across a pretty good deal on the UA site for 3/4 length Heatgear 2.0 bottoms. While checking to see how good that deal was I came across an even better deal on them on another site. $20, but only available in my size in black. Not really much exposed to the sun, so hopefully that isn't an issue other than showing salt stains :p

I’ve always found tight clothing to keep the heat in and through a lot of warm weather experience prefer loose, generously cut long pants and long sleeve shirts.

And a very wide brim hat.

whomeworry said:

I've worn runners tights, which provided little in the way of warmth or wind protection.  May check that out.

Ed

I run in temps down into the teens in tights. I find them plenty warm--of course, that's running. 

g00se said:

whomeworry said:

Ed

I run in temps down into the teens in tights. I find them plenty warm--of course, that's running. 

The tights I refer to were not warm at all.  I didn't know it at the time of purchase, only to discover on a hike they didn't do squat for warmth at night.  So I continue to use my old cycling tights, which are warm.

Ed

I wear running tights most of the year, though not in summer. Sometimes I wish I had the option though for the sake of sun protection, poison ivy, etc. While the options for UV and/or cooling tops and accessories keeps increasing, I haven't found that for tights.....yet.

Obviously, as others have pointed out, tights come in lots of weights and warmths. I'd look for a lightweight, synthetic option. I'd also avoid compression if I were you, since that's not necessary, would likely be heavier, and could make you warmer.

The UA HeatGear seems like a reasonable option to try since it's designed for warmer weather and sweating and isn't expensive. The other thing I'd think about is the length and if you're prefer full length tights for versatility.

I quite like 3/4 runner's tights as a compromise. The BD 3/4s I reviewed this winter might also do the job.

BigRed said:

I quite like 3/4 runner's tights as a compromise. The BD 3/4s I reviewed this winter might also do the job.

Good point.

The UA heatgear is working out  pretty well actually, though it won't last very long. I've done a couple of trips with them so far and they are showing some wear. Some is from wearing a knee brace over the top, but some might be from stick attacks. It does what is needed, protects and wicks moisture without adding a lot of heat. It doesn't dry as well as I'd hoped given the light material, but I have been spoiled using wool base layers for a while.

October 27, 2021
Quick Reply