Open main menu

Camp Trails Pack

pack.jpg

Can someone please tell me what model and age this pack is?

Maybe Alicia can help, she owned one but I don't know if it was same model.

CT packs were originally a private company that was sold to Johnson Outdoors and their offspring Eureka, sold those packs. I believe, not sure, they quit selling them in the early 2000s.

I stopped at Eureka this morning, and by the way Eureka closes permanently Monday, 2 floods and Covid and lack of Johnson $ support has done them in, and confirmed CT packs were finished about 2003.

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer, Amber.

Is there any identifying info on the pack? Name, product number, etc?

As Old Guide mentioned, Camp Trails was owned by Johnson Outdoors, which also owns Eureka. You could try reaching out to those brands to see if they can help.

Good luck!

Alicia

Thanks to all of you for your info. My grand kids were asking how old it was and I have no idea, It is a wonderful old pack and so very comfortable.  I checked for labels and a number on the frame to no avail. i was hoping the logo patch might help but no luck so far.

Amber

I bought my Camp Trails pack 30 years ago... I think it was one of the first internal frame packs.  The zippers are finally wearing out on it...

My guess is the New Horizon.  The picture is from the 1987 catalog, your pack is a newer than that as the logo on your pack is more modern.

20200902_211321.jpg

Amber, This looks to me to be the McKinley model. See attached photo for comparison. I respectfully suggest that you don't have the New Horizons, as that pack does not have the strap attachment points on the bottom front, as does your pack.

The McKinley, I believe, was available in a panel-loading model, such as yours, as well as top-loading model.

The McKinley was sold in the late 1970s and into the 80s. It was, and still is, a great backpack, good quality and with a good carrying capacity. 

I owned one, and know two other backpackers who still use theirs frequently. 

- Dave

Screenshot_20200902-212932_Google.jpg

Oh no, really?!   Very sad news...Eureka Timberline tents were the first "real" tents I ever used working at a canoe camp in Maine in the early 80s.  I still have and use my Eureka Timberline first tent that I bought in '85; guess I will not be able to replace its fly again...

Call soon, like today or tomorrow and maybe they still have a fly for your tent. Its a minimum of 50% off if they have one. Might be 75% off.

Hi Amber!

Having lived near Syracuse, NY for over 40 years, I have significant interactions with the Eureka/Camp Trails factory outlet in Binghamton; every year in early March they'd have a huge blow-out sale on second quality gear.

Consequently, every year I'd grab a catalog so as to document their offerings and be able to compare specs. My files likely cover 15 years, beginning 1980.  I have 2 CT external frame packs (Skyline & Ranger) and 2 internal.  I'll be happy to sift through my catalog collection to ID your bag.  It may take several weeks since that stuff is in a 10x20 storage unit 1.5 hours from my house.  Rest assured, I won't forget; I love tracking down particulars like this. 

That's a generous offer, Mainerd Moose!

I had forgotten about the McKinley.  Almost certain that is the answer.  The McKinley seemed to be a beefed up version of the New Horizon.  Anxiously awaiting the answer.

Hey Amber & Gang,

It's probably appropriate to say...EUREKA!  I FOUND IT!!!  

It's the "Somerset" model, last appearing in the 1989 catalog.  

Last 2 photos are front and back covers. 

CampTrails-somerset-600-DPI-res.jpg

Somerset model on right. 
Somerset-pack-spec-600-DPI-res.jpg
Pack Specs

Somerset-pack-specs_0003.jpg
Somerset-pack-specs_0004.jpg

(deleted low res pix/reposted hi-res)

I need to correct/add to my earlier statement of Eureka.

They closed their store, not the whole business. One can still buy Eureka products online is what I'm now told.

note to JFLawlor:

I also still have my TL-2 (USA made rip-stop bought 1978) and most of my parents' TL-4 (both in green). Regarding your rain fly, if your model is the 4-man, mine is in fairly decent shape in that it's lightly used with very little peel of the urethane.  I could envision parting with it.  For the unpleasant odor old waterproofed nylon emits (which it most likely has), rinsing in a white vinegar solution is very effective and lasts about 1 month. 

As for the TL-2, still keeping it and nursing it along: recoating the floor inside w/ Kenyon K-coat h2o-based.   Too bad the environmental concoctions don't hold up as well as the original "toxic" coating.

Regards.

Nice sleuthing, Mainerd Moose!

Hey Alicia,

I just googled CampTrails history and viewed threads from 2009 (Mel Abert speaks); you mentioned your orientation/outdoor program and Colby.  My dad went to Bowdoin and his 2 brothers went to Bates.  

I've read a half-dozen of Linda Greenlaw's books (Hungry Ocean, Lobster Chronicles); she also being a Colby alumna.  Did you know of her during your stint? 

(guess I'm off-topic; 1st & last time, sorry)

Mainerd Moose said:

Hey Alicia,

I just googled CampTrails history and viewed threads from 2009 (Mel Abert speaks); you mentioned your orientation/outdoor program and Colby.  My dad went to Bowdoin and his 2 brothers went to Bates.  

I've read a half-dozen of Linda Greenlaw's books (Hungry Ocean, Lobster Chronicles); she also being a Colby alumna.  Did you know of her during your stint? 

(guess I'm off-topic; 1st & last time, sorry)

Thanks for sharing, Mainerd Moose. My grandmother and her brothers also went to Bates.

I've only read The Hungry Ocean by Greenlaw. She didn't become famous until 1997, the year I graduated, when The Perfect Storm came out, and then her own book two years later. She has an interesting career trajectory!

October 23, 2020
Quick Reply